What yeasts are best for Weizens?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EamusCatuli

Reaction score
I think my favorite part about hefeweizens are the pronounced clove flavors, and thats what im wanting to get out of my next planned hefe. Does anybody have any recommendations on the best yeast to produce this flavor?

I have my eye on 3068 Weihenstephan by Wyeast

I have only used, and will continue to only use WLP300. I think it is the best.

However, use whatever man. That is the beauty of homebrewing. Pick a couple of different ones, make the same beer a few times with different yeasts and pick which one you like best.

I'm actually quite fond of Wyeast 3638. It's very balanced between the banana and clove with some darker fruit notes as well.

If you like the banana character, 3068.

If not, look elsewhere. It can get *really* banana-y, especially if you cant control the temps.

I have not been happy with the 3068. I too like the clove forward hefes (e.g., Schneider O). I cannot for the life of me get the banana monster that is 3068 to calm down to my liking. I am going to try something different for my next attempt.

I have not been happy with the 3068. I too like the clove forward hefes (e.g., Schneider O). I cannot for the life of me get the banana monster that is 3068 to calm down to my liking. I am going to try something different for my next attempt.

Really? Well ill give it a try, and hopefully its more clove than banana

From my experimenting with the hefe yeasts (and I'm the opposote, I want banana heavy and subtle clove) the Wyeast Bavarian 3638 is lotsa clove. The Wyeast 3068 and the White Labs 300 are the same strain of yeast: Lotsa banana. The White Labs 380 Hefeweizen IV is a mix, but erring on the side of more clove than banana. The Safale Wb-06 strikes me as lotsa clove as well.

The Wyeast 3068 and the White Labs 300 are the same strain of yeast: Lotsa banana.

Try it at 62F, like Jamil suggests (edit: citing Harold Gulbransen). (pitching temp celsius) + (ferment temp celsius) = 15.
http://s125483039.onlinehome.us/archive/Jamil06-05-06.mp3

My batch of EdWort's Hefe is, currently, too hoppy. I thought 1oz of 1.5% Hallertau at 15min would be subtle. It's not. The yeast character is nice, though.:mug:

Latest posts

Back