American Wheat Beer Rye Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chello

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-05
Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 Days at 65F
Tasting Notes
Balance of spice from the Rye and Malt sweetness.
This beer is the only beer i have consistently on tap. I have brewed it about 10 times now and think i have perfected it, although i still tweak it to experiment.

Grains
5lbs Marris Otter (3.0 SRM)
1.5lb Munich Malt (20.0 SRM)
1.5lb Flaked Rye (2.0 SRM)
1lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM)
0.5lb Cara-pils (2.0 SRM)

Hops
0.50oz Summit (16.50%) - 60min
0.50oz Centennial (8.60%) - 15min
0.50oz Centennial (8.60%) - 5min

Mash at 154 F for 60min

I ferment for 2 weeks in the Primary then keg. Keg is usually tapped about one month from the time brewed.

FG listed is my measured FG, but anticipated FG from Beersmith is 1.012.

Hops can be substituted freely. I'v done Summit only, Cascade only, Centennial and Cascades, etc. Any hop with a citrus flavor will mesh perfectly.

Please enjoy!

How in G-d's name are you getting a 92% attenuation? I am very impressed, and mystified. Sounds like a delicious recipe, too.

How in G-d's name are you getting a 92% attenuation? I am very impressed, and mystified. Sounds like a delicious recipe, too.
I love Rye's so plugged this into BeerSmith. It gave me 1.052 as an OG, but 1.014 as the FG. Must be a typo . . .

Edit:
Recipe looks nice!

No typo on the FG. That is my measured FG, anticipated is 1.012. I do often use a previous cake, but even on direct pitch's i'm in mid single digits.

I do not control ferm. temp or anything, so it's usually on the hot side. Active fermentation is usually complete within 48 hours. US-05 is the bomb.

Edit: I'll adjust FG to anticipated, but put a note in the recipe.

I guess it's possible but it's always between 152-154, no lower than that.

I'v contacted a Mod to delete this recipe from the database. I need to make some corrections to the numbers and change a few things as i'v tweaked it since it was posted.

This is a good recipe for sure. I used it as a base for an all columbus rye pale. My FG was 1.008 so I think it does finish out on the dry side. Very nice beer. Thanks for the recipe.

Brewing this up on a whim today. No Summit so might use 0.75 oz Amarillo FWH instead.

Pretty darn tasty hydro sample! Came in at 1.009 for about 82% attenuation. Used the Amarillo FWH (no Summit on hand). US-05 lets the rye and hops shine through. I like the Maris Otter as a base in this. Expect it to mellow a bit over coming weeks. Will follow up in a 3-4 weeks with pic and impression. Cold crashing for a couple days prior to bottling.

Just a followup - very tasty. Getting a lot of compliments from my brew buddies. Really nice pale ale - somewhat complex with the rye and other malts. Really has rounded into shape. Rye has some bite as expected, but overall its just a really enjoyable beer. I find myself reaching for this more often than any other (commercial or homebrew) right now. The Amarillo was a fine sub for Summit.

RyePA.jpg

I've made this recipe twice now. And it's one if the most delicious things I've ever tasted. I'm planning on making it again but will be adding a dry hopping stage, as I am a hophead. Thanks so much for the recipe!

Thinking of brewing something similar soon but will use Falconer's Flight instead of the Centennial.
I have a load of Belgian Pale Ale malt which has as similar Lovibond as Marris Otter so I will use this instead.
Hopefully it will still turn out good.

If I have time I'll make a split batch and brew a Saison or Belgian with the other half.
Bitter with Magnum and use Strisselsplat and Amarillo for the flavor and aroma additions.
I have a vial of WLP530 that is 3 months past it's date so I'll see if I have any success with making a starter, if not then I'll throw in a pack of Bell Saison which is the dry yeast version of the WY 3711.

Last edited:
I'm making this recipe this weekend. It sounds great in everyone's comments.

Two slight changes I'm making: 1) substituting summit to make this a 1-hop beer with all centennial. One ounce at 60, .5 as FWH, and .5 at 5min. 2) I'm planning on upping the base malt to 6.5 lbs. to slightly boost ABV as I want to keep it above 5%, and haven't tracked my efficiency much at all.

I have one huge question, and if anyone could comment, I'd really appreciate it. I've done about 10 all grain batches, and I know next to nothing about recipe formulation. I made a weizenboch with WAY too much munich malt, which ended up cloyingly sweet. Does anyone have any input on the amount of munich malt? I'm worried I'll have too much with a full pound and a half. Thanks in advance!

I'm making this recipe this weekend. It sounds great in everyone's comments.

Two slight changes I'm making: 1) substituting summit to make this a 1-hop beer with all centennial. One ounce at 60, .5 as FWH, and .5 at 5min. 2) I'm planning on upping the base malt to 6.5 lbs. to slightly boost ABV as I want to keep it above 5%, and haven't tracked my efficiency much at all.

I have one huge question, and if anyone could comment, I'd really appreciate it. I've done about 10 all grain batches, and I know next to nothing about recipe formulation. I made a weizenboch with WAY too much munich malt, which ended up cloyingly sweet. Does anyone have any input on the amount of munich malt? I'm worried I'll have too much with a full pound and a half. Thanks in advance!

I'm guessing you need the sweeter Munich to counteract the dry, sharpness of the Rye. But that's just a guess. Thanks for bringing this thread back to life! Looks like a good recipe to put into my queue.

This time I went for the Beecave Rye IPA and used Taurus, Simcoe and Amarillo.
Also made a Belgian Rye stout out of the other half and the WLP530 worked like a charm with a 1 quart starter.

Anyway that's all a bit off topic.
Next time I brew something with Rye I'll have a go at this recipe.

I'm guessing you need the sweeter Munich to counteract the dry, sharpness of the Rye. But that's just a guess. Thanks for bringing this thread back to life! Looks like a good recipe to put into my queue.

Thanks! Left all 1.5 in there, I'll post with how it turns out. The grains smell amazing... can't wait to taste the wort. I'm still playing with the hop schedule to keep my IBUs under 42 or so.
I've made the bee cave rye ipa twice - once was perfect but I messed up carbonation, once I played with hops and ended up way too bitter. Same thing happened with the two times I've made Denny's Wry Smile IPA.... once perfect, once too bitter.... I guess I need to stop playing with the hops in these recipes until I understandIBUs better!

Do you use a calculator? When I replace hops I check on BrewersFriend.

Yes, I usually do, but I'm no-chill brewing, which isn't always well accounted for on the calculators I've used. Also, I just haven't dialed in how long to boil, how much I lose due to boil off, and consequently, how much bitterness I'll end up getting from FWH. But thanks, I just checked out brewers friend, and it looks a bit more comprehensive than the free Google app I've been playing with (which shows FWH as having no IBUs).

That's interesting. One of my batches had a harsh bitterness. I've wondered since if it was slow cooling that added bitterness from flavor or aroma hops. I use a chiller now, but I didn't always.

Brewed this up yesterday with the substitutions I mentioned previously. Also, enjoyed my first hassle free brew day... everything went totally smoothly from beginning to end, and I ended up with an 80% efficiency for an OG of 1.060. Woot woot! Can't wait for this one to finish, I think it's going to be a great house beer. Thanks for the recipe and the advice!

Would I be able to brew this with a 5 gal carboy and 5 gal brew pot? Or do I need something larger to brew it in? Thanks!

You can brew 5 gallons in a 5 gallon pot by topping off as you boil, and in the fermenter. But if you ferment in a five gallon carboy, you'll need a blow off tube and lose some beer. Consider making 4 gallons. Just multiply all ingredients by .8. You probably will still need to top off, as a 4 gallon batch would need about a 5 gallon boil.

How do you know to multiply the numbers by .8? Is there a system or a calculator to use or something?

Sweet! We'll have to compare notes in a few weeks! The krausen is just now settling down on mine... had some sweet smells coming out of the fermenter... I think I pitched yeast a week ago, so I'll probably bottle in another week. I think I ended up with about .3 ounces left of centennial from my batch, so I'm just going to throw it into the primary for a tiny bit of dry hop aroma. Really stoked about finally getting to taste this one, I can't seem to get enough rye beers to drink!

I didn't account for the extra boil off using two pots. So I ended with 4.5 gallons at 1.056. I also ran the recipe through BrewersFriend and came up with IBU in the 40s (over 50 for my condensed batch). And, I used Nottingham yeast, as the basement is pretty cool right now.

how did you get such a dark product? I get an SRM calculation of 7.5. Also, my LHBS doesn't have honey malt and I've been googling for hours for a suitable replacement
Hmm...it's been a while. First of all the lighting wasn't doing any favors for that pic. Still, it's darker than 7 srm that's for sure. The OP lists an srm around 10 which is prob what one would expect. Guessing the Munich and Honey are the primary culprits. Nothing unusual about the brew day that I remember, and no extract was susbtituted.

I do remember after finishing this off that I would probably cut back on the Honey, maybe just bump up the base malt. It seemed like a lot of honey percentage-wise.

how did you get such a dark product? I get an SRM calculation of 7.5. Also, my LHBS doesn't have honey malt and I've been googling for hours for a suitable replacement

Just to reply on the Honey malt question.
Melanoidin malt or Aromatic malt should be good substitutes.
I also remember reading that Abbey Malt from Weyermann is similar but you might want to do a search on that one to see if the colours and flavor match.

Happy brewing! :mug:

thanks for the replies guys. I'm looking at taking some sick leave early next week to brew this. I'll post in here my results

I thinK I'll sub 0.5lb Abbey and up the MO by 0.5lb. Did you use Munich II (Dark, 20L)? That might account for the darkness as German Munich I (light) is only 6L

thanks for the replies guys. I'm looking at taking some sick leave early next week to brew this. I'll post in here my results

I thinK I'll sub 0.5lb Abbey and up the MO by 0.5lb. Did you use Munich II (Dark, 20L)? That might account for the darkness as German Munich I (light) is only 6L

Haha, I love it, making sick so you can brew :D
I do something similar. Time off work is no problem but if my GF knows I'm off she always has something for me to do. For her work she is sometimes away for a few days so I take a day off then so I can brew in peace :ban:

I'm not sure which Munich malt I used in the recipe, but I do think I'd cut down on the Munich and honey malt if I brewed this again. My bottles are young at about three weeks from brewing, and it tasted like the flavor just hasn't melded yet. I might have some astringent flavors due to too high of a mash out or from grist in the kettle, not sure. But I'm not sure that mine turned out quite right.

I'm not sure which Munich malt I used in the recipe, but I do think I'd cut down on the Munich and honey malt if I brewed this again. My bottles are young at about three weeks from brewing, and it tasted like the flavor just hasn't melded yet. I might have some astringent flavors due to too high of a mash out or from grist in the kettle, not sure. But I'm not sure that mine turned out quite right.

oh dear.. did you follow the OP recipe exactly? This is what I'm running with when I do it:

57.3% MO
15.8% Munich Dark 15.5L
15.8% Malted Rye
5.5% Caraplis/Dextrine
5.5% Abbey Malt

Does anyone object to the idea of brewing this up and pouring a good amount of Whiskey into the keg at the very end? Making it more of a "Whiskey and Rye?" I have not brewed this one yet, so I'm not sure if it can be the type of malt profile to support a decent whiskey flavor.

When I experiment with flavorings, I test a little at a time. You can always add the whiskey to your glass (boilermaker?). But if you add it to the batch and it's not good...
You might also try adding a little to some of the bottles if you bottle. But beware that too much alcohol will kill the yeast and keep it from carbing.

Back