Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Sanatizing EZ-cap bottles?

Old 10-13-2008, 05:14 PM   #1
Bigsnake
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Sanatizing EZ-cap bottles?

I bought some of these for my latest batch figuring people would be less likely to throw them away, plus I think they look cool.

But, I sanitized them by soaking them in One Step for about 20 minutes and when I started pulling them out to bottle, I noticed the wire assembly had started to corrode (a white corrosion all over).

Anyone else experience this or know of a better way to sanitize these bottles?

Old 10-13-2008, 05:18 PM   #2
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 309 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 7

That will happen. I've had to replace the wire bales on mine.

I now just spray some Starsan on them, wait 30 then seal. I then rinse any extra off the wire bales and dry with a towel. That keeps the bales from corroding or rusting.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:46 AM   #3
Bigsnake
Recipes 

Now I just have to consider if I want to buy new tops for these.

Considering the extra work in sanitation and the fear I have of these not carbing right, I may just stick with normal bottle capped bottles.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:29 PM   #4
sigmund
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

When I get a batch of these bottle from the distributor I soak them in a solution of bleach for about 24 hours and then scrub them. I then rinse all the bottles and put them on a bottle tree. No corrosion issues. Once clean I just rinse after use and sanitize.

Burkey Street Brewery

Old 10-15-2008, 10:22 PM   #5
Bigsnake
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmund View Post
When I get a batch of these bottle from the distributor I soak them in a solution of bleach for about 24 hours and then scrub them. I then rinse all the bottles and put them on a bottle tree. No corrosion issues. Once clean I just rinse after use and sanitize.
I wonder if it was the cleaner I used or a defect in the cap assembly then.

I have some new ones left over that I'll end up using next bottling. Not sure what I'm going to decide to sanatize with though.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:54 PM   #6
sigmund
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Star San seems to work well for me. Rinse them out with it and throw them on a bootling tree. Any foam that remains won't affect your beer so you don't have to rinse. I like easy.

Burkey Street Brewery

Old 10-17-2008, 02:51 AM   #7
eriktlupus

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsnake View Post
I bought some of these for my latest batch figuring people would be less likely to throw them away, plus I think they look cool.

But, I sanitized them by soaking them in One Step for about 20 minutes and when I started pulling them out to bottle, I noticed the wire assembly had started to corrode (a white corrosion all over).

Anyone else experience this or know of a better way to sanitize these bottles?
the white crud is an oxidation layer caused by a reaction from the metal and the one-step solution. rinse the tops of the bottles off and next time use starsan or a bleach solution to sanitize(or dishwasher). you don't need to replace the wire frames right away,not until they're to weak to lock the lid down tight
DRINKIN DAWG BREWERY
LET'S GO RED WINGS

join michigan mashers here

extraction calculator
grains in pounds(G) X 36(average points per gallon of grains) / batch size in gallons(g) = maximum efficiency(ME)
OG / ME = brewhouse efficiency

Old 10-17-2008, 04:21 AM   #8
Bigsnake
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriktlupus View Post
the white crud is an oxidation layer caused by a reaction from the metal and the one-step solution. rinse the tops of the bottles off and next time use starsan or a bleach solution to sanitize(or dishwasher). you don't need to replace the wire frames right away,not until they're to weak to lock the lid down tight
Thanks, wish I knew that fact before

I'll get some Starsan to try out.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:40 PM   #9
Boodlemania
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I scored 46 flip-tops, a bottling bucket, and some other ancillary stuff from CL last week ($20!). Being my first flip-tops, plus the unknown history of these particular samples, I have been soaking them in oxy-clean and water for the last 2 days. (Basically got them soaking b/c I knew I wouldn't have the time to rinse, etc until the weekend.)

They all had the tops clamped tight when I got them, the seals were pretty much flattened out, so I'm planning on replacing them. (Got a bag of replacement seals as part of the deal.)