Carbonating Kegs + Too Much Foam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bconsidi

Reaction score
Hello,
I am trying to Carbonate the beer in my soda keg. I have it in the fridge, and have taken it out put 35 lbs pressure on it and shook it for 10 minutes. Then left it in the fridge overnight. To dispense the been, i bleed out the gas in the keg and then put it to 5-10 psi. I have about feet of tubing going to my spout. When dispensing i get a glass full of foam, and my beer is pretty flat. Anyone have any suggestions? Thank you

You left out a word or two saying how many feet of tubing you have...;)

You really need to balance your lines.

If your lines aren't balanced then try this:

1. Set the pressure gage to 0.
2. Dump the gas in the cornie
3. Open up a tap (glas underneath)
4. Slowly turn the gas up until you get a good flow.

With the gas set too high and your hoses not the proper length you will get too much foam and the speed of the flow will strip out the carbonation.

Other opinions will follow...:D

of course other opinions will follow :D try what home brewer said and see if the carbonation lvel is better. If its flat I would think that it hasn't had time enough to fully saturate. also you may want to reset the regulator before you bleed the gas out. that way the keg will bleed down to the regulator setting instead of filling up past 5-10 in the keg. this is if you have a check valve in your gas line. I'm already drinking, if this doesnt make sense.

Thank you. I have 3 ft of tubing. I tried what you recommended, however I still got mostly foam coming out. Maybe, I need longer tubing. I am using one of those party faucets just with the length of tubing that came in the little kit.

Not thread jack, but I had a similar problem with excess foam. I switched to 10 foot lines and that did the trick. However, the problem has come up again. One of my kegs dispenses almost all foam, and as soon as I pull the tap I can see bubbles forming in my line. The other line flows fine (on the same pressure). I guess its over carbonated, but it really doesn't taste that way. I've dropped the pressure several times, and this weekend i left it around 5psi only to find that after I bumped up to serving pressure, it was still foamy.

Any suggestions?

thanks,

mikey

If it was only on 35 psi overnight it should be fine. I normally hook everything up at 35 psi for 24-36 hours then set it to whatever pressure I need via a carbonation chart. Most of my beers have the desired carbonation level 4-5 days later and it's pretty rare that I have any problems.

Except the IPA that I have on tap now. I forgot and left it hooked up at 35 psi for 48 hours and it's foam city. I offgassed it for 4 days and now I've got it hooked up to 12 psi, hoping that I can drink it next week.

Latest posts

Back