Secondary Carboy - Airlock? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Secondary Carboy - Airlock?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2008, 08:01 PM   #1
grace1760
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 130
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts



Hi all, my first ever batch is about 5 days into the primary fermentation stage (nut brown ale, extract brew kit). I have two questions:

1) First time using a hydrometer, it looked like OG was at 1.044...does that sound about right? What is a good FG to rack at? The instructions that came with the kit didn't give an indication of what it should be.

2) When I rack to the 5g carboy, what do I seal it with? The carboy came with a rubber "cap" with two short tubes portruding out of it. Is there supposed to be an airlock that fits into one or both tubes?

Thanks for your help...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:03 PM   #2
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
EdWort's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2006
Bee Cave, Texas
Posts: 11,912
Liked 342 Times on 169 Posts


1. Sounds about right. Depending on your yeast, it should finish between 1.009 and 1.013 or so.

The rubber cap is a carboy cap. Take the white cap off the middle tube and stick your airlock in it. Works like a champ for me.


 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:04 PM   #3
Displaced MassHole
 
Displaced MassHole's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2008
San Diego
Posts: 1,134
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts


As far as your FG goes, it all depends on the recipe. One decent rule of thumb is when you get down to one bubble per minute in the airlock its probably time to rack to secondary. As far as that carboy cap goes, you should be able to stick an airlock in it, just plug up the other hole.
__________________
Worthless Brewing Co.
The name says it all

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:04 PM   #4
findthefish
 
findthefish's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2008
Orange, CA
Posts: 473
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by grace1760 View Post
Hi all, my first ever batch is about 5 days into the primary fermentation stage (nut brown ale, extract brew kit). I have two questions:

1) First time using a hydrometer, it looked like OG was at 1.044...does that sound about right? What is a good FG to rack at? The instructions that came with the kit didn't give an indication of what it should be.

2) When I rack to the 5g carboy, what do I seal it with? The carboy came with a rubber "cap" with two short tubes portruding out of it. Is there supposed to be an airlock that fits into one or both tubes?

Thanks for your help...
1) After a couple weeks, check the hydrometer readings three days apart. If they are the same it is done. Your FG depends on a lot of different factors.

2) An airlock goes into the middle tube that points straight up, and there should be a cap to cover the other one. Or you can use a sanitized piece of foil.
__________________
Kevin

The Bruery Provisions - Homebrewing supplies and equipment.
BrewCommune - Orange County home brew club, yeast database, recipes, and forum.

On Deck: Belgian IPA
Primary: nothing
Secondary: Traditional Mead
Kegged: APA, Cream Ale, Belgian Ale, Sour Belgian, Barrel Aged RIS

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:05 PM   #5
findthefish
 
findthefish's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2008
Orange, CA
Posts: 473
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts


Wow, you guys are faster.
__________________
Kevin

The Bruery Provisions - Homebrewing supplies and equipment.
BrewCommune - Orange County home brew club, yeast database, recipes, and forum.

On Deck: Belgian IPA
Primary: nothing
Secondary: Traditional Mead
Kegged: APA, Cream Ale, Belgian Ale, Sour Belgian, Barrel Aged RIS

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:12 PM   #6
FlyingHorse
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
FlyingHorse's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2007
Evanston IL
Posts: 1,856
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced MassHole View Post
One decent rule of thumb is when you get down to one bubble per minute in the airlock its probably time to rack to secondary.
It's been discussed here endlessly, but I'll bring it up again: airlock bubbles are a poor indicator of fermentation activity. If you're using a "secondary" (and it's not necessary for most beers), you do not want to rack until you're at your FG.

After a week in primary, check your FG. If it doesn't move for 2-3 days, it's ready to rack. But you could also leave it in primary for 2-3 weeks or more, with no problem.
__________________
No signature required.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:12 PM   #7
grace1760
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 130
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Thanks for all your replies. EdWort, I noticed you have the caps on your airlocks. Is it supposed to be like that? Where does the gas go?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:25 PM   #8
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
EdWort's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2006
Bee Cave, Texas
Posts: 11,912
Liked 342 Times on 169 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by grace1760 View Post
Thanks for all your replies. EdWort, I noticed you have the caps on your airlocks. Is it supposed to be like that? Where does the gas go?
Caps are on one post only. The CO2 escapes as it bubbles through the vodka in my airlocks. If you remove the other caps, then your system is open to infection.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:30 PM   #9
grace1760
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 130
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Caps are on one post only. The CO2 escapes as it bubbles through the vodka in my airlocks.
Sorry, my question wasn't clear. I understand capping the 2nd post with the white rubber piece, but what about the clear caps on top of your airlocks? The gas bubbles up through the vodka, but how does it escape the plastic cylinder if it is capped?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:43 PM   #10
findthefish
 
findthefish's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2008
Orange, CA
Posts: 473
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by grace1760 View Post
Sorry, my question wasn't clear. I understand capping the 2nd post with the white rubber piece, but what about the clear caps on top of your airlocks? The gas bubbles up through the vodka, but how does it escape the plastic cylinder if it is capped?
There are holes in the top of that cap. It comes on all the three-piece airlocks.
__________________
Kevin

The Bruery Provisions - Homebrewing supplies and equipment.
BrewCommune - Orange County home brew club, yeast database, recipes, and forum.

On Deck: Belgian IPA
Primary: nothing
Secondary: Traditional Mead
Kegged: APA, Cream Ale, Belgian Ale, Sour Belgian, Barrel Aged RIS

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discovered airlock not on my carboy :( talenos Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 9 04-20-2009 09:02 PM
carboy cap as opposed to an airlock imabulldogg General Beer Discussion 8 12-23-2008 07:03 PM
#*&%!!! Airlock Fell Off Carboy arturo7 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 10 08-18-2007 08:58 PM
How tall is a 6.5 gal carboy with airlock? Alamo_Beer Equipment/Sanitation 4 06-07-2007 06:40 PM
Airlock fell into carboy Scorching Sugar Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 01-08-2007 10:28 PM


Forum Jump