ingredient substitutions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ESROHDE

Reaction score
I have a recipe that calls for 4 lbs pale malt, 2lb flaked barley, and 1 lb of roasted barley. My question is this, can I sub the flaked barley and the roasted barley with the equivelant malt extract? I dont have the equipment to sparge the barley.

can you sparge out the 4lbs of pale malt?

this sounds like a prime op to do a partial mash even if its in a large mesh bag

You don't need to sparge flaked barley or roasted barley. You can just steep both of them. Roasted barley doesn't need to be converted. The barley is just for taste.

You don't need to sparge flaked barley or roasted barley. You can just steep both of them. Roasted barley doesn't need to be converted. The barley is just for taste.

Steeping flaked barley, especially two pounds, doesn't sound like a good idea. Flaked barley really should be mashed. Steeping will just soak out some starches, gums and proteins and no real fermentables.

I don't know where you got the recipe, but a pound of roasted barley & 2 pounds of flaked in a seven pound bill, will give you something like thin alcoholic coffee with great head retention.

There are plenty of good extract with specialty grains stouts in the database.

I don't know where you got the recipe, but a pound of roasted barley & 2 pounds of flaked in a seven pound bill, will give you something like thin alcoholic coffee with great head retention.

There are plenty of good extract with specialty grains stouts in the database.

That is exactly the answer that I wanted. I am combining a Guinness stout recipe with a Dandelion stout recipe and I am just winging it as far as measurements. It is a five gallon batch I will be starting next weekend. Thank You for the info.

Back