Yeast pitch calculator, what gives?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PitBrewHaus

Reaction score
Ok, It's my first time using one on Brewer's Friend and first time making a starter. I am trying to make my first lager (a 1.069 Maibock, 5 gal batch) and it says, I need 3 packs of liquid yeast in a 2L starter to create enough yeast cells. Can that be right? For 5 gal? Liquid yeast aint cheap. Can I get away with less?

You can use one pack of yeast and step it up with one or two more steps. Scroll down beyond the initial screen to find the step up part of the calculator.

Ok, It's my first time using one on Brewer's Friend and first time making a starter. I am trying to make my first lager (a 1.069 Maibock, 5 gal batch) and it says, I need 3 packs of liquid yeast in a 2L starter to create enough yeast cells. Can that be right? For 5 gal? Liquid yeast aint cheap. Can I get away with less?

Figure 1 pack in a 2 liter starter = 2 packs of yeast. 2 packs in a 4 liter starter = 4 packs of yeast. Yeast isn't cheap, that's correct, but neither is DME and your time.

Figure 1 pack in a 2 liter starter = 2 packs of yeast. 2 packs in a 4 liter starter = 4 packs of yeast. Yeast isn't cheap, that's correct, but neither is DME and your time.

So, should I add a 4L starter with 2 packs? That's a whole gallon in need to account for in my carboy. Like I said, first starter. Not trying to sound ignorant. My carboy is 6.5 gal, my batch size is actually 6 gal. It's getting kind of tight.

So, should I add a 4L starter with 2 packs? That's a whole gallon in need to account for in my carboy. Like I said, first starter. Not trying to sound ignorant. My carboy is 6.5 gal, my batch size is actually 6 gal. It's getting kind of tight.

I would never add all of that starter wort to my beer, decant the wort then pitch only the yeast.

That makes sense. I knew I was missing something. Thanks.

So, do lagers generally take this much yeast. I'm used to one pack for 5 gal ales. Most have been under 1.060, but I did make a Saison 1.069 with one pack of dry yeast.

Latest posts

Back