DampRid in Chest Freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

str1p3s

Reaction score
To fix a mold problem, I found some posts on here about using DampRid in my chest freezer. The store I went to only had a vanilla lavender scented version. Since the fermentor (a fermonster) should theoretically be air tight, I figured it would be fine. It definitely fixed the mold problem but my Pliny the Elder Clone came out with a weird off taste. It tastes too floral. The first time I brewed the same recipe it came out great. This time I got better efficiency and ended up with .5% more abv.

Has anyone else done this and gotten a weird off taste? Or could it be esters from the yeast? I fermented in the chest freezer with temp control at 64 degrees.

Get an EVAdry... it works AMAZING.... Seriously. get one. Ive had zero moisture issues with putting one in my keezer so far.

Get an EVAdry... it works AMAZING.... Seriously. get one. Ive had zero moisture issues with putting one in my keezer so far.

The DampRid worked fine so I picked up the unscented version for next time. I'm just trying to see if anyone made the same mistake and that's what I can attribute the weird flavor to. My brews have been hit or miss and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong on the misses.

The DampRid worked fine so I picked up the unscented version for next time. I'm just trying to see if anyone made the same mistake and that's what I can attribute the weird flavor to. My brews have been hit or miss and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong on the misses.

Well it wouldnt make your beer have a good taste. I wouldnt describe floral as a bad taste just a flavor you were not going for. Those types of things (damp rid etc) dont taste like they smell for sure. I dont think it was the source of your flavor issues.

Here's another vote for EvaDry and that the DampRid is probably not the source of your misses.

Especially early on but even today the cause of my misses are usually attributable to one or more of these:

Sanitation issues
Temperature control issues
Oxidation issues

I'd focus on those.

I will agree with others who mention the EVAdry. Before I bought one I would have water pooling at the bottom of my fridge (kegerator). Now it says bone dry! Wish I would have bought two so I could always have one on standby so I could swap it out with a recharged one.

Sorry I have no experience with DampRid. I would agree with others and think something else is the culprit and not the DampRid. Just my two cents.

I have used unscented DampRid in my temperature controlled fermentation freezer for years now and can vouch for it working perfectly to prevent mold. I buy the 4-pack of replacement pouches to keep a spare on hand at all times.

If you are using the same exact grain bill, (think DI pH) and water profile (think pH) then I would look elsewhere for the source of any off flavor.

Back