tenderquick sticks recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't used TQ, but here's a link that might help as far as adjusting a recipe for using TQ instead of Prague #1. You'll have to also adjust other ingredients (salt and sugar additions). It might be easier to just wait and get some Prague #1. http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/54367/prague-1-vs-mortons-tenderquick#post_50885

I just recently got a sausage stuffer. I've made the recipe featured on episode 42 of Chop & Brew, http://chopandbrew.com/episodes/chop-brew-episode-42-making-snack-sticks-at-home/. The first time I followed the recipe (but forgot the hot sauce) and it turned out well. The second time I made a few changes including almost doubling the cayenne pepper, using Sriracha for the hot sauce, and swapping out some of the garlic salt for garlic powder. I also used the optional encapsulated citric acid on the second batch. So far everyone but my wife liked the second version better. I prefer using weights rather than volumes for measurements, so here's the recipe as I made it (version 2), adjusted for six pounds of meat.

6 Pound Recipe

4.5 # Walmart All Natural Ground Beef ~ 70/30
1.5 # Walmart Fresh Ground Pork ~ 80/20
6g Prague #1
57g Kosher salt
4g Black pepper, freshly ground
4g Homemade chipolte powder
10g Garlic salt
5g Garlic powder
11g Accent Flavor Enhancer
11g Table sugar
5g Cayenne pepper (add more for additional heat)
1.5g Smoked paprika
6g Crushed red pepper (run it through a mill/grinder)
1T Sriracha sauce
12 oz Cold water
1 Tbls. Encapsulated citric acid (optional)

I blended the beef and pork by hand until it seemed mixed well. Add salt, sugar, spices etc. (except encapsulated citric acid) to water, then add to meat and mix well. If you're using citric acid, add it right before stuffing. The citric acid will give the snack sticks a slight tang similar to dry cured meats like salami.

No smoke at 130F for about 30 min.
Smoke at 150F for 2 hours.
Bump the temp up to 172F and continue to smoke until internal temp hits 154F
Cool in an ice bath to halt cooking process. Leave out on counter for a couple hours to "bloom". Package and store in freezer until ready to eat.

Back