Overcarbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nil

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I few kegs of beer that are over carbonated. I let them sit for 6 days now and release the pressure valve every day. As today, still the beer is over carbonated. I got a thick foam upon serving.

Any recommendation?

Thanks, Nil :mug:

You've got the right idea. Just keep doing what you're doing and eventually you'll de-gas the beer. Just don't shake the keg.

A vacuum pump would be pretty handy, eh?

Here's something else you might try.

The problem with purging a full keg is there isn't much headspace that has to be brought back to equilibrium each time you do it. It would be much easier and faster if the keg was half full.

What you could try is this. First, disconnect the gas to the keg. Then, star-san the daylights out of the pressure relieve valve. Then rinse a washcloth or towel in star san. Pull the PRV and turn it 90 degrees so it stays open, and cover w/ the star-sanned cloth.

Let it go for several hours then reseat the PRV. You'll get a decarbonation from that much faster than just purging.

It's analogous to leaving a beer out--it goes flat, doesn't it? So let your beer go flat--up to a point. You can reconnect your gas, pour a glass, and see where you're at. Maybe you have to do it more, maybe it's enough.

Back