Harvesting lacto from a starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagicMatt

Brewmathemagician
Reaction score
Like many of us, when I use a yeast strain I've never used before, I buy a new smackpack and overbuild my starter to save roughly 100 billion cells (i.e. the contents of a fresh smack pack) for storage and later usage.

Can I do the same thing with a lacto starter? How long does lacto survive in a refrigerated environment?

I'm making my second Berliner Weisse tomorrow, again using Omega Yeast Labs Lacto Blend (OYL-605). In accordance with the suggestion on the MTF Wiki, last time I made a 1L starter of 1.040 wort for 24 hours (no stirring). I pitched the whole liter into my ~5.75 gallons and within 14 hours I was at 3.25 pH.

So I'm wondering if I can say make a 1.2L starter of 1.040 instead, and reserve 0.2L to be pitched into another 1.2L starter, perpetuating the process?

I found this thread on Reddit and I don't really get what not flocculating has to do with anything? When I make my yeast starters, I break off my saved portion before cold crashing anyway. But I'm not cold crashing the lacto starter (well, only the reserved portion but not for flocculating purposes, only for short-term (4-6 weeks) storage).

And ideas? I hate to keep having to drop $8+S&H (so about $12-14) each time I want to use this awesome blend.

Back