Temp probe position?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMerkle

Reaction score
I'm almost done with my new ebiab build and I was just curious where you guys install your RTD? I'm leaning towards putting it in a tee off the outlet ball valve but it seems like that would be pointless once the mash recirc is over. Should I put it in the pot instead?

After your're done with the mash I don't see why you would need a temp monitor. Or at least one that is needed for anything really. You can see the boil.

Mine is in a tee downstream of the pump. I prefer it in that location because I think it has a higher likelihood of providing solid control of the grain bed temperature, which is what you're after.

If you put it in the kettle, below the false bottom and close to the kettle wall, you're just hoping the wort is well mixed enough to give a decent reading. If the mixing is not good below the false bottom or the proximity to the kettle wall throws the reading off a degree or two, the controller may apply heat to the wort when you don't it to, or vice versa.

One way around this would be to install a three way valve that recirculates part of the wort to below the false bottom (like a whirlpool fitting) and the rest to the top of the grain bed. I've seen this done before to correct the controllability issues with simply reading the temp in the kettle.

With the RTD in the tee, you're guaranteed the temp of the wort going to your grain bed is correct, assuming it's calibrated correctly of course.

I also think this is a better approach to doing step mashes, where for example you want to ramp from 148F to 156F. If you ramp up temps with the probe in the kettle, you're more likely to overshoot.

My two cents. Hope it helps.

Back