Fermentation in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SHAIV

Reaction score
So I brewed a batch of northern brewers plinian legacy. I left it in primary for exactly 4 weeks and added first dry hops about 5 days before I racked to secondary then racked onto the second dry hop addition. I filled the 5 gallon carboy up because it wasn't fermeting in primary anymore. Here's a pic of secondary I made a yeast starter of s05 yeast and fermented at 70 degrees in my chest freezer with temp controller. It was a violent fermentation I had to put a blow off on it for a couple days.

I don't understand. Did you reach final gravity then transfer to a 5 gallon fermenter with hops already in there. Then add more yeast????

If you are getting any fermentation it can only be that you had a stalled fermentation and new yeast started it back up. But in that case you should have corrected the problem before transferring.

Or if it just foamed up when transferring it is probably just co2 coming out of solution due to the hops, and agitation.

BTW - no picture.

Have you taken any gravity readings? You added more yeast in the secondary? I'm not sure I follow what you did and when exactly. Maybe more info of your starting gravity and gravity when you racked and did you add yeast to secondary?

Oh I have not taken a gravity. SG was 1.070. Why would it have started fermenting again? I did not pitch more yeast

Oh I have not taken a gravity. SG was 1.070. Why would it have started fermenting again? I did not pitch more yeast

It's probably not fermenting but without any gravity readings that's just a guess.

Adding hops creates a lot of nucleation points, and the c02 in solution bubbles out. If the temperature rose after fermentation, that could really make it bubble and even come up to the top. You have hops floating there, but I don't see a true krausen.

This is what it looks like now. Keep in mind there was 3.5 oz of hops in first dry hop and 1.5 in second. It's been over 5 days in secondary. I also hope the hops drop so I can get it in the keg cleanly but idk if that's gonna happen

View attachment 1471515444706.jpg

Only gravity readings will tell you what's going on in that secondary. AS for trying to get clear beer to your keg, I'd suggest putting a sanitized paint strainer bag around your siphon to help prevent the hop sludge from transferring. I do that when I bottle dry hopped beers and helps quite a bit.

So I got it kegged and carbed now. It doesn't taste like an ipa at all. I don't taste any hops. I'm gonna let it age a bit more but it was in primary for 4 weeks secondary for 2 and keg for 1 week. I cold crashed it after a week in secondary. What is everyone's thoughts on this? It's not undrinkable but I don't taste any hops so for a dipa/iipa I'm kinda upset

So I got it kegged and carbed now. It doesn't taste like an ipa at all. I don't taste any hops. I'm gonna let it age a bit more but it was in primary for 4 weeks secondary for 2 and keg for 1 week. I cold crashed it after a week in secondary. What is everyone's thoughts on this? It's not undrinkable but I don't taste any hops so for a dipa/iipa I'm kinda upset

What was your recipe and Hop Schedule?

So it just wasn't conditioned. It's gotten real good now. Hoppy flavor and aroma

Back