New batch weird fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clavain46

Gunnibrewer
Reaction score
So I started my first batch of cider. Used Apple juice with only ascorbic acid added (2 gallons) and 54 oz of blueberry lemonade (no weird additives in that) and used danstar belle saison yeast. Fermentation took off after a few hours went hard for 24 hours or so then slowed way down. Temp is around 70 deg. Is this normal? I used yeast nutrient. I'm used to beer usually going for 4 or 5 days before it slows.

For what it's worth, my cider did something similar. Went crazy for the first two days, and now I'm getting two bubbles per minute, maybe less. It's going to be fermenting for a while this one.

Sounds normal. I would just stick in a dark place for about a month until the yeast drops out, then rack and age for whatever time you think is appropriate before packaging.

I stuck my head in the brew hole today an noticed it is just about done bubbling and already starting to clear. Day 5 primary fermentation. I guess in a week or so I'll do gravity and taste test to see if it came out ok.

Did you check your O.G.? What kind of sugar was/is in the blueberry lemonade, does it contain HFCS? I will guess your O.G. was somewhere in the 1.050 range?

MindenMan my OG was indeed 1.050. Ingredients for the lemonade simply state "sugar" so I'm guessing sucrose.

I do not see which yeast you chose, that choice will make a difference in final Gravity and final flavor. Things used that contain a lot of sugar when added to "juices" usually take quite a bit of time to regain their flavor back after bottling.

Back