Fermcap and Clarity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TAK

Reaction score
Has anyone had any issues with clarity related to use of fermcap during fermentation?

I use fermcap to manage boiling my starters in flasks all the time, but I'd never used it in a fermentation. I have plenty of headspace in my fermenter, so that's not an issue. I've heard that it can help with head retention though, as it cuts down on the krausen. So, I thought I'd try it.

I threw some into an APA I was brewing, and I have a serious clarity issue with that beer. It was a 10 gallon batch. I have 2 kegs, one dry hopped, and the other isn't dry hopped yet. I thought perhaps it was some hop haze, which isn't usually an issue for me, but hey, maybe. However, comparing it to a pull from the un- dry hopped keg, the clarity issue is in the whole batch.

I also used fermcap in my next brew, a hefe, but it's a hefe, hard to say if it's has a clarity issue given the yeast.

I'd have to say it's been years since I've had a clarity issue. So, I can't help but wonder if it's a coincidence, or if it was the fermcap.

I don't know. I have never heard that it effects clarity. I have also never heard that it effects head retention.

I used it a few times, now I just don't bother.

i use it in every batch (boil...approx 30 drops) and have never had an issue with clarity.

i use it in every batch (boil...approx 30 drops) and have never had an issue with clarity.

I've never had any issue with clarity.
How big at your batches?
I boil 7.5 gallons down to 6 and I use about 14 max.

Thx

I used it post-boil.

BSG fermcap instructions are do "add 2 drops per gallon to prevent formation during fermentation. Use 3 drops per gallon to prevent wort from boiling over."

It was an 11 gallon batch, so I used 22 drops.

In regards to how it potentially affects head retention, that only comes into play post boil. In general, the proteins that comprise head on a beer are one time use only. So, mitigating the proteins that get used up during fermentation in the krausen has the opportunity to leave more in the beer to be expressed later in the pint. If that story plays through, meh, who knows. That's beside the point.

I've used it in every batch for the last 5 years, and do not have clarity issues. Most of my beers are clear (but some are not .... for various reasons, but not FermCap as far as I know).

I use about 7 drops in the boil and 10 in the fermenter for a 6.5 gallon batch.

I never use Irish Moss, but do use Gelatin in every batch.

Per my usual protocol (without fermcap), I get reliably clear beers. I use Irish moss. I've never used Gelatin.

With this hazy beer, I did wonder if gelatin would clear it.

Calder - I wonder if there is haze from fermcap that doesn't show in your beer because you also fine it with gelatin.

Never heard of using ferm cap during fermentation. I use it during boil, 12 drops per 10 gal batch. I also fine with gelatin after cold crashing and have had near mystical results in clarity.

Calder - I wonder if there is haze from fermcap that doesn't show in your beer because you also fine it with gelatin.

I wouldn't have thought that would be the case, but I don't know. I guess it is possible. I have nothing to say that is not the case.

I use gelatin in the fermenter rather than Irish Moss in the boil because my Daughter is allergic to IM.

I have only used it 3 times in fermentation. The first time was a saison that I let ferment in my bathtub as I headed to India for 3 weeks. When I got home it was crystal clear. I also used it in the IPA I'm making right now, which was clearing up from the yeasts activity but I dry hopped so it got super hazy, and I'm sure that will clear. Yesterday I brewed an American brown ale and it's as clear as it can be with fermentation starting. As for head retention, I have not tried any of them yet, I still have at least a week before the bottles are ready for the saison. I will say that the krausen never got over 1" in the saison and IPA. This gives me much more space to fill my fermenters.

Latest posts

Back