Hair like strands in beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Lenny-

Reaction score
I recently posted about some issues I was having with my 1st homebrew of a Canadian blonde.

I believed there was a sharpness like taste to it, but carried on and it is now in my pressure barrel.

I decided to try some of it today and noticed the taste to be dry, almost alcohol like with some bitterness . I left the glass down, forgot about it and came back to see that once the 'cloudiness' had settled, there were some hair like strands floating in the beer!

I tried to get a photo but due to lighting etc it's not picking it up. It looks like thin worms floating there!

Is this a sure sign of an infection or is it just yeast which hasn't dissolved? I note when I swirl the glass they appear to dissolve into the beer turning it cloudy again..

I think it must be ruined..!!

Tasted another glass there and it is very bitter. ....

You probably are seeing excess yeast. Cold crash for a couple of days if the fermentation is complete to settle the yeast. The bitterness is also from having to much yeast in your glass.

Back