Diy cpvc rotating sparge arm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k20brewing

Reaction score
what's up HBT. lately I been busy building my herms setup in which consist of 3 sanke kegs and 2 chugger pumps. I was looking around for a sparge arm to buy but decided to build one instead with the cpvc piping and fittings I had laying around. It was a bit of trial and error thing at first but I got the sparge arm to spin adding a small Amazon pump near the sparge arm since my chugger pump couldn't pick it up.Let me mind you, your probably better off buying a rotating sparge arm for 20-30$ if your on a budget. All this added together would probably cost under 50$ give or take luckly I had all this lying around so it didn't cost me anything. The only thing I did buy was the bar to hold the sparge arm but that's about it.
Parts list
1/2 cpvc piping
1 tee 1/2
1 elbow 1/2cpvc
1 union 1/2 cpvc
1 female thread coupling adaptor
2 cap ends 1/2cpvc
1 small Amazon pump
1 1/8"x14" 306 ss bar (optional)
2 clamps
1 barb 1/2
3/8 tubing to connect to the pump
Teflon tape
1 Switch
120v adaptor
And a few beers

Tools needed
Drill
Small drill bit
Step bit
Screw driver
Pipe cutter

1.I started off by cutting the cpvc piping into 3 pieces.the arm and the 2 rotating end
2. I drill small holes on the rotating ends of the cpvc piping
3.I Teflon each end of the rotating piping part
4. Connected with force the tee and caps onto the rotating piping part the Teflon will keep the pipes together even at a high heat I tested it out for an hour you can use cpvc glue if your sceptical
5. I connected the tee to union and the union to the sparge arm part ...btw the union part is where it spins its a 3 piece part it's a bit hard to explain but when you come across it at the store you'll have an ahhh moment but that piece is very important or else no spin
6.I Drilled a 1/2 hole in the ss bar to hold the sparge arm you can go with wood on this one
7.using my Teflon method I connected the elbow on the other side of the bar to my sparge arm
8. Connected the elbow to the adaptor and connected the barb to that
9.Connected my pump with 3/8 hose to the barb added a switch to the pump and it was all go from there

The pressure of the pump will make the sparge arm rotate just remeber when your drilling the whole on the rotating end to space and angle those holes slightly downward so it can help rotate the sparge arm.

I did this for fun and it work.. can't guarantee you that it will work for your set up.
Here is a video of it in motion lmk what you guys think and cheers!

https://youtu.be/tG8OnV-Guv4

20160522_224859.jpg

20160522_225038.jpg

20160522_230253.jpg

20160522_230444.jpg

20160522_230936.jpg

20160522_231904.jpg

Back