Hefe Water (pH), Additions and Test Mash Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jiffster

Reaction score
I'm brewing a Hefe this coming weekend and although I am preparing to place an order for my first pH meter (Hach Pocket Pro+) I don't think I'll have time to learn to use it and apply the results to the mash to modify as needed for this brew day.

If my assumption is wrong, please help me understand the process.

That being said, if I use the info from the primer, I should use the following for 100% RO water, correct?

Per 5 gal:
1/2 teaspoon Calcium Chloride
3% Sauermalz

Next question..., How do you do a "test mash"?

I have no idea how to go about learning how to use a pH meter and apply the results.

Thanks!

I brewed a Hefeweizen a few months ago and used the same thing except replace sauermalz with lactic. I used Brewers Friend to get pH and CaCl where I wanted it and lactic acid for pH adjustment. Then......my pH probe would not work. It was my first adventure into water, salts, and acids. I have no idea where my pH ended up but I made wort and the yeast made a tasty Hefe. One of the best beers I've made, in my limited experience. I would go for it and worry about pH next time.

Go to Bru'n Water we bsite and download the spreadsheet and read everything on site about water chemistry.....for your next brew....this is what I use and have learned a ton from the site....and hitting the right mash pH range every time

Back