Maris Otter or 2 Row in Red Rye IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arnobg

Reaction score
Looking to brew a Red Rye IPA this week with Citra, Mosaic, Simcoe hops following a hop schedule similar to "Northeast style IPA". I have about 50 lbs of Maris Otter and 20 lbs of Rahr 2-Row. Which would be best for this recipe? Here is the current grain bill:

62% 2-Row/Maris Otter
17% Rye Male
12.5% Munich II
4.5% Caramel 80L
3.5%Caramel 60L
0.5% Pale Chocolate

I wouldn't change a thing. I think you're going to like that--it's similar to a Rye I've been brewing. Here's what mine is:

8.0 oz Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 1 3.8 %
9 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 2 68.6 %
3 lbs Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 3 22.9 %
5.9 oz Wheat, Roasted (425.0 SRM) Grain 4 2.8 %
4.0 oz Rye, Flaked (2.0 SRM) Grain 5 1.9 %
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 25.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 7 15.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Styrian Celeja [4.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 5.8 IBUs
1.0 pkg California Lager (Wyeast Labs #2112) [124.21 ml] Yeast 9 -

You may want to add some rice hulls.

In my opinion you'd have a hard time noticing a difference. That's a hefty amount of Munich 2 and crystal, the toastier/maltier notes of MO over 2row will not be distinguishable. I'd go with 2row just cause it's cheaper, personally.

In my opinion you'd have a hard time noticing a difference. That's a hefty amount of Munich 2 and crystal, the toastier/maltier notes of MO over 2row will not be distinguishable. I'd go with 2row just cause it's cheaper, personally.

In a Rye up to a max of 10% is quite common and acceptable. It really balances out the spiciness from the rye and what you would be normally too sweet in a normal recipe is not sweet at all with the rye.

I echo this. You've got a lot of other things going on in your malt bill. I think MO has a noticeable taste, but only when it's the primary malt base. Go with whichever one you want to purge from inventory.

Back