Filtering suggestions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bartleby913

Reaction score
So I just bottled a grapefruit pulpin I ordered from northern brewer. The peels are added into the secondary and when trying to siphon into the bottling buckets it was getting clogged constantly cause the peels weren't settling to the bottom. This left a few bottles of beer stuck in the secondary cause it was stirring up the sediment too much everything I had to knock the siphon to unclog.

Also had issues with the peels clogging up my bottling tube.

So my question is about filtering your home brews. Anyone have tips or suggestions on the best methods? Also when is the best time to filter?

Russell

For something like grapefruit peel in the fermenter, I have had really good luck by using a long nylon mesh bag slid over the business end of the racking cane. The beer will pass through, but the peel will be stopped by the mesh bag.

next time put the additives in a muslin bag. For now the muslin bag at the end of the racking cane will work but it still might get clogged. Just try to carefully move the stuff out of the way of the racking cane.

When I used to bottle I hated bottling IPAs. The dry hops would always clog the bottling wand. There wasn't mush I could do about it to filter it out because I didn't want to oxidize my beer. I just kept having to stop and unclog the wand. Sometimes if you push the bottle against it to open it up then pull away and push back on it again it can unclog it. If you do this several times you can get it flowing again.

I did this same thing with wood chips the first time I oaked a beer. It was a pita... I've used a muslin bag ever since!

Back