Slightly low final gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lunkerking

Reaction score
Hello. So I brewed my first all grain batch. It was an American pale ale.

My original gravity was 1.060 which was just about spot on assuming I measured it correctly.

My final gravity was definitely low. Around 1.009 when it should have been 1.013. Any reason for concern? Ideas on what could have happened ? What are the implications? Just stronger beer ?

I bottled it last night and seems to taste fine.

Thanks

According to my brewing classic styles book it should have been 1.013. But I think that would assume 70% efficiency. Also when I plug the numbers into beersmith 1.013 was my estimated fg. I am just curious what might cause a low number.

Too many details have been left out to give you an accurate answer.

1. Efficiency does not play a role in FG, it only affects your OG.
2. What was your mash temperature?
3. What yeast did you use?

As far as the effects of the lower FG, yes your ABV is slightly higher than expected and the beer may also be a bit thinner.

WLP001 *always* over attenuates for me when I make a starter. My last pale shoulda ended up at 1.012 with 80% attenuation (White labs upper limit for cali ale) and I got down to 1.005 (more like 91%)

Your beer will be a little more dry but it'll be fine. Package it up and enjoy!

Thanks !

Next stupid question. When final gravity is taken. It should be done from the fermenter prior to adding priming sugar ?

Thanks !

Next stupid question. When final gravity is taken. It should be done from the fermenter prior to adding priming sugar ?

Yes. If you add sugar and then check it you will be reading the sugar in suspension also. Is it enough to change it? Probably not but a little math could tell you for sure.

Cheers
Jay

Yes. If you add sugar and then check it you will be reading the sugar in suspension also. Is it enough to change it? Probably not but a little math could tell you for sure.

Cheers
Jay

4 oz of table sugar will give you:
(4 oz / 16 oz/lb ) * 46 ppg / 5 gal = 2.3 points or 0.0023 increased SG​

Brew on :mug:

Back