Adding sliced apples to cider during fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TandemTails

Reaction score
I don't have easy access to fresh, unpasteurized apple juice/cider where I live and i'm stuck using the sprouts/whole foods gallon jugs of cider.

I'd like to give them a little more 'real' apple flavor and thought about adding 4 apples, sliced, during fermentation for a 1 gallon batch. The varieties would be honeycrisp, braeburn, granny smith and golden delicious.

Do you think this is going to be enough to impart any added apple characteristics or should I change the amount (or just forego the apples entirely)?

I added one or two Granny Smiths chopped up to a gal. of cyzer. I don't know if the apples did it because I have nothing to compare it to but it was pretty good.

I added one or two Granny Smiths chopped up to a gal. of cyzer. I don't know if the apples did it because I have nothing to compare it to but it was pretty good.

I actually have two gallons of cyzer fermenting right now, one made with fresh pressed apple cider from a local orchard, and one with a gallon of mott's apple juice with a granny smith chopped up into it.

Same recipe otherwise, so I can report back what I've found at least. For me it was more an attempt to see if I could lower the cost of the ingredients.

I actually have two gallons of cyzer fermenting right now, one made with fresh pressed apple cider from a local orchard, and one with a gallon of mott's apple juice with a granny smith chopped up into it.

Same recipe otherwise, so I can report back what I've found at least. For me it was more an attempt to see if I could lower the cost of the ingredients.

Awesome. Please post back when you sample them. Like I mentioned in my OP, i don't have access to fresh pressed juice so i'm also trying to find a way of mimicking that flavor cheaply.

Funny thing is every time I cost out no preservative AJ or FAJC compared to farm fresh cider it's pretty close and I've even got farm fresh cheaper. Only cider Apple blends are more than $5/gal.

Funny thing is every time I cost out no preservative AJ or FAJC compared to farm fresh cider it's pretty close and I've even got farm fresh cheaper. Only cider Apple blends are more than $5/gal.

Not everyone is so lucky to live in apple country :(

True. But you get Hatch chilies and we don't.

FWIW, when I make cider from store bought juice I always add a pinch of this stuff: http://www.naturesflavors.com/flavors/organic-flavor-concentrate/organic-apple-cider-concentrate/c284_289_293/p60823/-cp/

It really makes a difference. Might look to be expensive, but it's highly concentrated and just a 1/4 tsp per gallon does it.

Haha, true. Green chile is awesome.

These flavor concentrates look pretty neat. There are a lot of flavors that look like they might be fun to experiment with.

I went ahead and bought the 4 apples today, cored them, sliced them into thin pieces and threw them in the freezer. I figure I'll let the cider ferment for a couple days and then throw the apples in for a month or so before racking to secondary.

When i make cider I usually use four gallons of store bought juice then use my juicer on about 10# of apples to top it off to about 5 gallons. Gives it a little more mouth feel.

When i make cider I usually use four gallons of store bought juice then use my juicer on about 10# of apples to top it off to about 5 gallons. Gives it a little more mouth feel.

Any kind of apples in particular? The only real apples we get around here are dessert apples and mushy ass horrible red delicious.

Any kind of apples in particular? The only real apples we get around here are dessert apples and mushy ass horrible red delicious.

Typically granny smith or winesaps when I can get them.

The granny smith definitely give an acidic bite.

Back