Hop filters at end of boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pretzelb

Reaction score
If the main complaint about hop filters during boil is lowered utilization compared to letting the hops roam free, then has anyone tried adding a filter at the end of the boil? You would need a pump but if you added a filter at the end and then pumped the wort into the filter, wouldn't that be the best of both worlds? I would assume any kind of hop filter would work - either stainless steel mesh or a typical hop spider with a bag.

I assume this won't work because I can't recall anyone mentioning it before. If it did work it seems like a decent way to protect a plate chiller.

If the main complaint about hop filters during boil is lowered utilization compared to letting the hops roam free, then has anyone tried adding a filter at the end of the boil? You would need a pump but if you added a filter at the end and then pumped the wort into the filter, wouldn't that be the best of both worlds? I would assume any kind of hop filter would work - either stainless steel mesh or a typical hop spider with a bag.

I assume this won't work because I can't recall anyone mentioning it before. If it did work it seems like a decent way to protect a plate chiller.

If you are using a bucket to ferment in, you can put a muslin bag in the fermenter before filling the fermenter with wort and the muslin bag will remove hops. Be sure and sanitize the bag first.

Happy Brewing :mug:

There's an entire cottage industry offering "hop tacos", "hop blockers" and the like to add to the bottom of a BK to strain out hops.

Some may even work, more or less...

Cheers!

I have a bazooka screen that I use when I'm using a ton of leaf hops, but pellet hops will clog that up, so I bag the pellet hops when using the bazooka screen.

Or, vice versa- if I'm not using a bazooka screen, I'll bag the leaf hops (those suckers clog up my pump), and let the pellets loose in the pot.

Pellets go right through my diptube and pump, but the whole leaf hops do not and clog up the whole works.

I usually use a hop spider, but on Saturday I made an IPA with 7+ ounces of hops in it. I figured that would clog the spider, so I skipped it and just ran the hose into the fermenter into a paint strainer bag that I had soaked in Star San. It filtered out most of them.

20160409_134720_zpsl2bqc98q.jpg

I use a colander lined with a BIAB bag, but that can be a pain when making an IPA with lots of pellet hops. However, I much prefer straining after the boil and chill instead of using a hop spider or bags which get in the way of my immersion chiller.

I use a pretty big Stainless spider that still allows the hops to free float in boiling wort. I literally have no hop debris and I have not noticed a sacrifice in bittering/flavor. I also use 2 pumps and a plate chiller and had clogging issues without using the spider, so it is something I must use.

I use a pretty big Stainless spider that still allows the hops to free float in boiling wort. I literally have no hop debris and I have not noticed a sacrifice in bittering/flavor. I also use 2 pumps and a plate chiller and had clogging issues without using the spider, so it is something I must use.

Is this with pellet or leaf hops?

We recommend creating a whirlpool for about 10mins after boiling (either with a pump or manual stirring) to control hop/trub material from going into the fermenter. We recommend using two of our side pickup tubes; one for the drain and one for creating the whirlpool (pump use). All of our 'off the shelf' kettles have two full ports that can utilize this setup.

The below pics are from a recent test using a 10min whirlpool and 8oz of pellet hops. The liquid going into the fermenter had little to no solids make it in.

The side pickup can be seen HERE.

Whirlpool Installed.jpg

Whirlpool Drained.jpg

Filter Test.jpg

We recommend creating a whirlpool for about 10mins after boiling (either with a pump or manual stirring) to control hop/trub material from going into the fermenter. We recommend using two of our side pickup tubes; one for the drain and one for creating the whirlpool (pump use). All of our 'off the shelf' kettles have two full ports that can utilize this setup.

That is interesting. Here is a recent picture of my first time using a new system with whirlpool. I didn't get the nice debris mound in the middle like you did. I'm not sure if my whirlpool was angled wrong or if maybe I didn't wait long enough for everything to settle. My output is pointed down instead of to the side like yours but that shouldn't matter.

IMG_20160410_160550 (1).jpg

The only issue with my whirlpool is the cold break buildup I get since I recirc while I whirlpool. I'm ok with some
Break material getting in the fermenters, but hops and plate chillers don't mix

That is interesting. Here is a recent picture of my first time using a new system with whirlpool. I didn't get the nice debris mound in the middle like you did. I'm not sure if my whirlpool was angled wrong or if maybe I didn't wait long enough for everything to settle. My output is pointed down instead of to the side like yours but that shouldn't matter.

It's really hard to say since that's a competitors equipment. We've done a lot of testing and design work to get the whirlpool to work well. Did you whirlpool with the liquid hot or chilled?

It's really hard to say since that's a competitors equipment. We've done a lot of testing and design work to get the whirlpool to work well. Did you whirlpool with the liquid hot or chilled?

I did the whirlpool right after the boil. I let the pump run for 5 to 10 minutes then let it settle for another 5 to 10.

The big differences I see between our setups is you have narrowed tubes and my drain points down. I bet the narrow tube helps with velocity. I think mine isn't pushing with enough force.

I am old school and this won't work for everyone. I have a SS scrubber pads (make sure you get one with no soap, etc) that goes over the end of my dip tube. This filters out 95% of the break and hop material and no pump required.

There is a serious downside. You MUST use a minimum of one ounce of leaf hops early enough in the boil so that they are saturated and drop faster than any pellet hops. Two ounces is preferable. It does slow the flow to the fermenter(s) but since I splash aerate like a cave man, this is not a bad thing.

Looks like your recirculating arm is pointing down? Should be pointing slightly up to get a good whirlpool:tank:

I used to use bazooka screens and hop bags. Now, I put a stainless elbow in the kettle, throw the hops directly in, whirlpool and its been working great. You still get some hops in the fermenter but the majority stay in the kettle.

Can clarify if this is pellets or leaf hops.
I makes a difference.

I used bazooka screens with leaf hops and a plate chiller with no issues.
Not sure I could same the same with pellet hops.

I used to use bazooka screens and hop bags. Now, I put a stainless elbow in the kettle, throw the hops directly in, whirlpool and its been working great. You still get some hops in the fermenter but the majority stay in the kettle.

Back