Poor everything from boil kettle into fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtracer

Reaction score
So I did an abstract batch yesterday, my second batch.
I have an 8 gallon kettle, I filled with approx 6.5 gallons water. I had quite an aggressive boil the entire boil and had quite a large evap. loss.
My kettle has a ball valve I use to rack to my carboy. I ended up over a gallon short which I topped off with fresh water.(ended up at the very bottom of anticipated OG)
I could have poured in nearly a gallon more fluid if I poured in all the break muck from the kettle into the fermenter that was below the output hole in the kettle valve.
So was I correct in leaving that stuff behind, our is it common practice to just throw it all in there?

You will get a mix of answers. I used to strain that junk out, but after experimenting, I found that it made no difference in the finished beer so I no longer take the time.

I let desired volume in the fermenter determine what goes in and what doesn't.

Like the others have said, you certainly can pour it all in with no ill effects. But I agree with @andy6026. Let your fermenter space tell you if you need to allow the break material in. If you can fill it with wort only, you are better off leaving break material behind as opposed to leaving wort behind.

Back