WLP500 Stall, Stuck?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FireManDan

Reaction score
I did some searching on the boards about the infamous Trappist Ale Yeast. This has been my first go around with this yeast in an attempt to try and get close to a Chimay Blue Clone. I pitched a 2L starter and the yeast went into a vigorous fermentation after 4 hours in the primary. After just shy of a month in the primary I racked into a carboy.

O.G. - 1.055
Gravity at transfer(FG) - 1.020

After doing the math I am around 63% attenuation. My Fear is that I am stuck. I have ZERO action in the secondary. I figured transferring would rouse the yeast a bit and maybe kick it back into gear. Any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated.

What did you measure gravity with, hydrometer or refractometer?
What was your recipe, including mash temp?

Sorry I became super busy this weekend with the kids and Easter and well everything that goes along with that......

The Recipe was an All Grain w/adjuncts. I measure my gravity with a hydrometer. Recipe as follows

13.25lbs Pilsner Malt
1 lb Flaked Wheat
.5 lb Caramunich
.40 lb Aromatic malt
.25 lb Special B
.25 Choclate malt
1 lb candi belgian amber sugar

Those are all the fermentables.
6 gal mash @ 152 Degrees Fahrenheit
Sparged at 175 Degree Fahrenheit

I seen very little action in the secondary. Tasted okay, some minor sour notes but nothing out of the ordinary.

Back