Warm vs Cold conditioning (KEG)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeSkril

Reaction score
Hi all!

I know there were discussions about that in the past but I still would like to have some input from you guys.
I switched to kegging a few months ago and that’s my process:
- 2 weeks in primary
- Transfer to keg
- Stored and carbonated in the fridge (40F) for at least 3 weeks before
serving (depending on the beer)

Yes, I know, beer gets better over time and maybe you cannot cover all styles with the same process, but, in general, would I benefit from a warmer storage period before putting the keg in the fridge?
I have good results with this process...IPAs, Stouts, Pale Ales, I cannot complain, but would warm storage improve the result?
Anybody doing the same thing?

Thanks!

I'm also interested since I just kegged my first batch. I just did 3 weeks primary, keg and into the fridge to carb. Thing is my beer tastes a bit green and I'm now wondering if I should have left it out at room temp to improve before throwing it in the fridge... or will I still see improvement by cold conditioning?

This is how I do it: for most beers.
6 weeks total:

3 weeks primary
Crash chill and and fining.
Rack to keg, set psi and forget for 2 weeks. Beer will improve with time at cold temps just think of it like lagering.

Warm storage will help big beers round out some of the harsh alcohol flavors ex. Imperial stouts, Barley wine, extra. I do these in kegs if I have the space if not in a secondary
Cheers

I am a firm believer that beer should take as long as it needs. To assign an arbitrary time frame is naive and poor advice.

In terms of temperature, the warmer something is the faster chemical reactions occur. There are practical ceilings where too hot starts to cause staling or off flavor production.

I find most beers are better ten to twelve weeks after being brewed. I keg most everything, and have found this to be true with the exception of Belgians, IPAs and a few others like a barleywine. I use priming sugar and allow it to carbonate at room temperature.

I find most beers are better ten to twelve weeks after being brewed. I keg most everything, and have found this to be true with the exception of Belgians, IPAs and a few others like a barleywine. I use priming sugar and allow it to carbonate at room temperature.

I got a question actually 2 for you sir, kinda off topic. I have never primed in the keg before usually just hook it up to the co2. I want to try this because right now I have no room in the keezer. Do you prime with the same amount as bottling or you cut it in half? And do you have a problem with sediment when it's time to cool and serve?

beer is food product. storing food is done at cold temperatures. I store everything cold that i can.

Well, not quite. Yes, beer is a food product and you should store food that is perishable at the right temperature; however, how exactly would you have handled bottle carbing and conditioning? Think of a keg as a large bottle. For larger beers, high ABV beers, and malt forward beers, I will rack to the keg when the beer is done, whenever that may be, purge it with CO2 and let it sit. It's basically bulk conditioning at that point. There are no ill-effects thus far for me as far as I can tell. I bulk aged my quad like that for 7 months. Hop forward beers, if I am out of room in the keezer, I will rack to a keg, add priming sugar, and let it carb at room temp for a couple of weeks. I rarely have to do this, but I've done it and it's been good for me. Then I quickly push through another keg so I can get that one chilled.

To the OP's question, beer will condition in a fridge. It will condition quicker at room temp as far as I'm concerned. I also don't really rush the beer. I've learned over time most of my IPAs are good to go in 2 weeks, I usually let them go 3 weeks unless I'm impatient. A week in the keg at 40F results in a product I'm happy with. 2-3 weeks in that same keg results in an even better product.

There is a lot to say for time and beer seems to appreciate it, whether a short amount or long amount depending upon style.

To the OP's question, beer will condition in a fridge. It will condition quicker at room temp as far as I'm concerned.

Agree, not only quicker, but more completely, esp. when bottle-conditioning. Since, after priming, the beer is in a mini-secondary fermentation, it would seem logical that the yeast would do best in a ferm temp environment not unlike what they experienced in primary. I prime then "re-ferm" for 3 weeks at room temp (68-70F), then fridge it for a week. Has always worked great.

I got a question actually 2 for you sir, kinda off topic. I have never primed in the keg before usually just hook it up to the co2. I want to try this because right now I have no room in the keezer. Do you prime with the same amount as bottling or you cut it in half? And do you have a problem with sediment when it's time to cool and serve?

I always do a 14 day fermentation for ales, and transfer off of the yeast and put it in a mini fridge for three to seven days. I then boil a pint or so of water, add 2.40 oz of table (cane) sugar, cool, the pour it in the keg. Then rack the beer on top, pressurize your keg at 30 psi, and let it set at 68 degrees or so for two weeks or more. Chill the keg to serving temperature, relieve the pressure, and serve. Some beers like a stout will only need approximately 1.95 oz of table sugar, while others such as pale,ales, or IPA will benefit from a higher carbonation level.
I find with cold crashing, I very little sediment in the keg, and after pulling off the first six or eight ounces I have a clear, cleaner more "polished", "professional" looking beer I am proud to present to friends or family that come over.

So so much anecdotal information stated in such a factual manner in this thred to fill a keg or two. So I will add some more.

Fermentation on most beers is done in 7 days. Crash for a couple days is always a good idea. Rack and sit for 2 weeks drink and enjoy.

I will tell you right now I have never been disappointed in fermenting for 10 days, force carbing and then drinking the next day. Beer like wine has its own special characteristics at every stage. There is no one perfect time. It is an evolving beverage.

Back