Slimy mold in party tap heads --Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alsace

Reaction score
I've been kegging for a few years. I use a converted chest freezer. I run a case fan inside at all times for air circulation, and always have a tub of Damp rid in there to keep things nice and dry.

I typically clean all my beer lines once a month, sometimes once every two months, and I've never had problems.

I have three Belgians on tap right now, and when I pulled a pint the other day, there were blue specs mixed in the head. When I dissassembled the head of the plastic party tap (cobra tap), there was blue mold, as well as a solid ring of some sort of pink slimy film.

I took everything in the line apart, cleaned and star san-ed it, and now a week or so later, I took it apart to check, and it wasn't nearly as bad, but I could see a bit of that slimy film beginning to build up again. The same thing seems to be happening in my other Belgian taps.

Can anyone help me understand what's going on? I didn't know if the low hopping of the Belgians was allowing some of this to happen, or if this is something I could avoid by using better taps. Help appreciated!

I live in Texas and with the heat and humidity it's very easy to get unwanted crap growing in my faucets. I keep a spray bottle of starsan by my kegerator and at the end of the night, when I pull my last beer, I spray the starsan inside each faucet. A quick spray in each faucet is all I do. I haven't had the problem since I started doing that. FWIW I have Perlick faucets.

Hey, thanks for the suggestion. I think I will do just that. I wonder how many times I'll think I'm having my last beer of the night, spray the faucet out, and then find out I'm pulling another!

I AM going to build a proper collar and get real faucets some day, but I have nightmares about my 3 and 5 year old children draining 5 gallons of homebrew onto the floor. Thus, the enclosed cheapo faucets in the keezer.

Many times I 'thought' I was finished drinking for the night and was wrong. Fortunately the small amount of starsan left in the faucets ok to drink and you can't taste it.

I do the same thing with the picnic taps in my keg fridge. Sometimes I use starsan in the squirt bottle and sometimes cheap vodka. Both work well. Also arranging the hose on the keg handles so the tap opening hangs and drains down helps.

You might double check your temp and humidity levels in the freezer.

Good point about the temperature. I did a ton of british ales this fall and winter, and I think my keezer might still be set around 48 degrees. Wonder if that warmer temp could be causing some of this.

If you're growing mold, it's indeed likely that higher temperature will accelerate the growth.

That said, I don't think mold inside a kegerator is all that common.
At least I rarely see it mentioned on hbt...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back