Help About OG and FG.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sagatho

Reaction score
Hello Friends

im a very noob person in mead making at this moment i was only doing experiments with mead and homebrews whit out any gravity reading, i just buy an hidrometer and i want to know what Original Gravity i need to make a very low ABV mead.

i want to try to do a 5%-6% ABV sparkling dry mead with a taste of honey like a show mead..

all advices will be greatly appreciated

Thanks and cheers. :cross:

Won't be a lot of honey flavor ....I make light sparkling melomels at that abv level ...the fruit shines through greatly, enjoyable stuff. I had a light plain one going, but when Bowie passed away, I snapped and threw freash chopped ginger root, oak, and a few jalapenos in it. Has turned out incredibly well, considering this was a spur of the moment derail....before the additions, it was just a hydromel, and tasted like watery mead, which would have beem passable with good carbonation. Now it's a totally different animal, equally fit for drinking or marinating :)

then you think it will better to put more honey giving a little more ABV but increment the flavor of honey?

i want a mead with flavor but more in the dry low sweet side, i will say that 8-9% is still in the normal ABV rate, i dont want a fuel burning throath mead :D.

Cheer.

The delicate balance that is mead is that all the flavor comes from the same place as all the alcohol.. so the lower the ABV the less flavor there is coming from the honey... so, as fuelish suggests you might need to add something that will increase the flavor.. That cannot be honey unless you want to also increase the alcohol level, but it could be spices - or hops, for example.. or you could use a flavor rich variety of honey - like Tupelo or orange blossom or meadowfoam.. or you might add berries or flowers (elderflower or hibiscus or heather) or you might dissolve the honey in apple, grape or any other fruit juice

You could try steeping some milled honey malt (grain) in 150*F water for a bit, straining that and adding to must ....will lend a bit of unfermentable "sweet" malt flavor....have only tried this once, but it was in my black'n'blueberry melomel, couldn't really notice the malt. I still have some on hand, shall have to try it in a plain hydromel one of these days .....

Back