Buying a new Pistol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mirilis

Lvl 10 Beer Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So my wife decided she wants to learn to shoot pistols. I did some research and I think she will be getting a Ruger LCPs for her birthday. I decided I may as well get one since we dont have any guns in the house anymore. I am thinking of the Glock 19 in Battlefield Green.

Anyone have any experience with those? My dad says I should get them pretty soon because and I quote "Obama is one hell of a gun salesmen.. you better get to buyin it before he causes a run on guns and ammo becomes scarce again".

So my wife decided she wants to learn to shoot pistols. I did some research and I think she will be getting a Ruger LCPs for her birthday. I decided I may as well get one since we dont have any guns in the house anymore. I am thinking of the Glock 19 in Battlefield Green.

Anyone have any experience with those? My dad says I should get them pretty soon because and I quote "Obama is one hell of a gun salesmen.. you better get to buyin it before he causes a run on guns and ammo becomes scarce again".

My wife has a Ruger LCP and it can be hard to handle with the recoil. It's a pretty small gun and you have to pretty close for any real accuracy. If it's going to be a conceal gun it's great because it can fit in their small purses or on them easily. Another gun she has is a Walther .380, it's a bit bigger but she can still have it in a larger purse or jacket without any problems. She can also get some good accuracy with it. That's the gun she used when getting her CHL.

I have several Rugers as well and I really like the Ruger SR9c and it's great. It's easy enough to conceal and has pretty good accuracy and can be field stripped pretty easily.

You also might want to see if there are gun ranges around you to see if they have something you can rent to see if it something you really want.

Good Luck!

My wife has a Ruger LCP and it can be hard to handle with the recoil. It's a pretty small gun and you have to pretty close for any real accuracy. If it's going to be a conceal gun it's great because it can fit in their small purses or on them easily. Another gun she has is a Walther .380, it's a bit bigger but she can still have it in a larger purse or jacket without any problems. She can also get some good accuracy with it. That's the gun she used when getting her CHL.

I have several Rugers as well and I really like the Ruger SR9c and it's great. It's easy enough to conceal and has pretty good accuracy and can be field stripped pretty easily.

You also might want to see if there are gun ranges around you to see if they have something you can rent to see if it something you really want.

Good Luck!

I almost bought that sr9c this weekend... might still do it. Sweet little gun, feels really nice.

In most cases, all you're going to need is to be able to draw it quickly and pump a bunch of rounds into your target at close range.

How about the smith and Wesson shield in 9mm. Easy to handle and more stopping power than the .380. Easy to conceal.

My wife has the M&P Shield9. She loves it. She is tiny and was finding she had a hard time racking the slide on most but she has no problem with this one...

The LCP is a pain to shoot. I wouldnt start her on that. Its an okay carry gun, because its the gun you are most likely to carry, but its not a fantastic shooting experience.

Walther P22 is a good shooter. If you are buying two guns (one for her, one for you), I would go P22 and PPS for you. Or, I would do P22 for her, and P226 (or P229) for you. The P226 is my favorite pistol, hands down.

I went into the gun shop a few years ago to buy the LCP. The guy showed me the LC9 sitting beside it. It wasn't much bigger, and I already had a 9mm gun at home. Ended up with it.

Haven't shot a whole lot with it, but I really like the gun. I don't know if I'd recommend it for a first time shooter, though. I feel a larger framed gun would be more appropriate.

Heck, my wife and my mother both really like shooting my 22 pistol. It's also a Ruger, a MKIII. Not the best for carry or defense, but has as much recoil as a water gun. :D

+1 for the S&W Shield in 9mm. Small enough to conceal, but large enough to shoot comfortably. Kahr PM9 is similar except without a thumb safety. PPS is also a viable option. Good luck and make sure you and the Mrs. safely practice, practice, practice...and practice safety, safety, safety!

My CHL instructor has had several people fail the shooting test with LCP's and then pass with flying colors on the same day with a slightly larger pistol.

I bought my wife an LC9 a year or so ago. She prefered the larger grip over the LCP. I shoot it on occasion and it a nice shooter. Kind of long trigger but easier to handle than the LCP. As for the Glock 19, I've carried mine for many years and will continue to do so. Its one helluva concealed carry weapon.

Last edited:
Another fan of the s&w shield 9mm me and my wife both have them as CC weapons and love them.

For full size pistols I love my g19, ruger sr9, and colt 1911 (by far my favorite to shoot as well as my wife's favorite)

Heck, my wife and my mother both really like shooting my 22 pistol. It's also a Ruger, a MKIII. Not the best for carry or defense, but has as much recoil as a water gun. :D

I've always been curious how a .22 would perform as a defensive weapon. Most of the idea of "stopping power" is outdated(when it comes to hitting vital/semi-vital areas). Mostly I'd just curious about the effect of follow up shots vs. first shot kill. I would think in a frantic situation having higher magazine capacity, lower recoild and faster follow up shots would be more important than having higher caliber stopping power.

(not an argument, if you have read articles about this I'd be all about reading them too, heck my carry weapon once I get my conceal liscense will be a 1911 .45acp)

I have an LCP and while it is a very easy to conceal gun it is not an easy one to shoot imo. I put a grip 'overwrap' on mine and added an extender to the magazine which makes it easier to hold than the stock model but it is still not as easy to shoot as my Beretta F92. If my wife or one of my daughters wanted a concealed carry it is not what I'd recommend. What I'd probably suggest is something like a Ruger LCR, a hammerless revolver. If they didn't want a revolver then a Ruger, Glock, or Sig Sauer 380 or small 9 is what I'd suggest.

The LCP is loud for a 380 and maybe that would provide some additional deterrent. After putting a few hundred practice rounds through mine I'm pretty accurate with it.

Well, if you manage to hit your target several times with high velocity 22lr hollow points at close range, it's going to stop most people.

A lot of stuff gets thrown around about stopping power... But it really depends on the situation. I feel like the biggest thing they use for an example is getting bum-rushed by some dude high on PCP.

Is the target several yards away and firing from cover? Yeah... You're going to want a big one/two shot stopper. 9mm (small end) 45, 40.

If you are only a few feet away and have a chance to unload your magazine with a high chance of most of them hitting, then a 22 would be just fine.

I'd like to see someone with ten 22 hollow points in them try to do much after.

I think in most cases a 22 would be ok, but if you expect to get into a shootout, or don't trust your ability to hit a target under extreme duress, I'd rather carry something with a little more oomph.

Personally, I don't like anything smaller than a 9 for CC.

I love my Glock 19. It's my EDC.

I'm not sure I'd recommend a LCP for new-shooters, because of the reasons already mentioned. It's easy to carry, but difficult and unpleasant to shoot well. I have the Kel-Tec version, and I don't carry it unless the Glock just isn't an option.

Another vote for the M&P Shield in 9mm. It's very easy to handle. SWMBO just switched to one from a Kel-Tec P11, which felt cheaply made (at least to me). She also wasn't a fan of the heavy pull on the trigger.

My other is a Springfield XD-40. It handles really smoothly as well, but is maybe on the larger side of "concealable".

Will you use the pistol for: conceal carry, home defense or at the range? Or, all of the above?

GLocks aren't pretty, but they are one of the most respected and most used pistol brands in the world. The Glock 42 is a 380 cal. and the newest Glock 43 is a 9mm. Both are excellent for conceal carry and are for great shooting at the range. They're extremely reliable and easy to maintain. You can't go wrong with any Glock.

A 9mm is hard to beat since the ammo is widely available at good prices. 380 is becoming more available, but generally priced a little higher than 9mm. There's also a world of discussion about benefits of one caliber over another. Some would say anything smaller than a .45 is a waste of time – I disagree with that thinking.

You open a can of worms when bringing up gun preferences. So the best thing to do is go to your local gun range and rent a few pistols you're interested in and actually shoot some rounds through them. Purchase what feels best to YOU and what you're comfortable with, they're all a little different.

I have a Keltec P3at, which is *very* similar to the LCP. I hate practicing with it; I can only get 1 1/2 fingers on the grips, and it feels like a "ladyfinger" firecracker going off in my hand every time I pull the trigger.

My LCR (.38 revolver) is only slightly bigger and heavier, and is much more pleasant to shoot. Ruger did a really good job with the grip design. I also think .38 Special is a more effective round than .380, although that can probably be mitigated somewhat with premium ammo.

I'd rather someone carry a gun they can shoot comfortably & reliably than give them one they can't shoot at all. Besides, if someone pulls a .22 on me, I am not ****ing with them, no matter what! I know that a center-mass shot probably won't kill me. I still don't want to get shot!

:D

Will you use the pistol for: conceal carry, home defense or at the range? Or, all of the above?

GLocks aren't pretty, but they are one of the most respected and most used pistol brands in the world. The Glock 42 is a 380 cal. and the newest Glock 43 is a 9mm. Both are excellent for conceal carry and are for great shooting at the range. They're extremely reliable and easy to maintain. You can't go wrong with any Glock.

A 9mm is hard to beat since the ammo is widely available at good prices. 380 is becoming more available, but generally priced a little higher than 9mm. There's also a world of discussion about benefits of one caliber over another. Some would say anything smaller than a .45 is a waste of time – I disagree with that thinking.

You open a can of worms when bringing up gun preferences. So the best thing to do is go to your local gun range and rent a few pistols you're interested in and actually shoot some rounds through them. Purchase what feels best to YOU and what you're comfortable with, they're all a little different.

it will be for home defense and carry.. im a big guy and can hide the G19.. plus I really like the battlefield green color the came out with this year.

Lots of love for the 9mm Shield.. my dad literally just bought one as his carry weapon last week. He hasnt fired it yet but plans to this weekend. Maybe ill go shoot it with him.

Accuracy and stopping power.

17736982_1.jpg

Just picked up the Springfield XD SC mod 2 9mm last week and after shooting it I am in love. Small enough for every day carry but a little heavy with the larger magazine so I just keep the 10 round in it. Just another option to put out there for her. I was going to the the Shield 9mm but the gun shop I was at required you to be active duty military, police or homeland security. Something about a contract with S&W he said or I would have left with that one instead.

it will be for home defense and carry.. im a big guy and can hide the G19.. plus I really like the battlefield green color the came out with this year.

Lots of love for the 9mm Shield.. my dad literally just bought one as his carry weapon last week. He hasnt fired it yet but plans to this weekend. Maybe ill go shoot it with him.

A 19 is very easy to conceal. I weigh 185-190 and can conceal it with any clothing. I'm not a glock fanboy by any means. They are ugly as sin but I've never had any glock I've owned fail to fire or feed.

A 19 is very easy to conceal. I weigh 185-190 and can conceal it with any clothing. I'm not a glock fanboy by any means. They are ugly as sin but I've never had any glock I've owned fail to fire or feed.

im 6'4" ~270lbs so I should be able to hide it easy. They do look like a box, but im really just interested in reliability.. though i do like the boxy look with that green.

Whatever you do, try to shoot the pistols before you buy them.

I own a Glock 19; it feels the best of all the pistols I own. Guess which one I shoot the worst? That's right, the 19. Want to buy it? Oh, yeah, you want the green one. Mine's black.

The LCP is an ok pocket pistol, but let me suggest if you're going that direction that you consider the LC9s. A tiny bit bigger, and 9mm is a lot cheaper to shoot than .380. If you aren't going to shoot to stay competent, then you shouldn't carry.

The 9mm is a more capable round than the .380.

And if you're going to go 9mm, and you like Glock, consider the G43 for her.

But also make sure you look at the LC9s. I have the original LC9, the hammer-fired double-action version. The newer LC9s is striker-fired, and the trigger is excellent. My brother bought one and I've shot the two side-by-side.

My 2 cents, but the biggest takeaway is don't go .380.

I have both, I bought both for my CC. I love my G19 it's accurate and reliable and with 15+1 you got a hell of a lot more bullets if needed, it also concels well, I would highly recommend it. The LCP on the other hand is a love/hate for me. I love that I can have it in my pocket but the hate is real. You would have better luck throwing this pistol at someone and hoping to knock them out then you would hitting them at an acceptable range. Don't get me wrong if you are within 10 feet your gonna hit your target somewhere just probably not where you thought you were pointing. What you gain in concealing you lose in accuracy. If I was going to give me wife a pistol to protect herself I would look into the Glock 43 I believe. Just my 2 cents

Yep the new Glock 43 will be the wife's new carry. Or mine if she doesn't like it ��

Take her to the range, have her shoot as many as she wants to and let HER decide what feels best to HER. That's really the most important thing, because if she's afraid of shooting it, it won't be something that will protect her.

Then once she's decided and purchased, make sure she shoots it A LOT until she's completely comfortable with it.

I LOVE to shoot but I'll tell you what, some things are NOT fun to shoot and some of the pocket pistols are highest on that list - they kick like mini-mules. The lightweight ones are the worst. One of my faves is a nice little Ruger SP101 revolver in .38 special. Has enough heft to it to not kick back so badly as some of the lighter weight models.

Something else you might consider for her is a Crimson Trace or similar laser grip. Not having to worry about sight acquisition under duress is really one less thing to fret over. Those CT laser grips are awesome, IMHO.

Whatever you do, try to shoot the pistols before you buy them.

I own a Glock 19; it feels the best of all the pistols I own. Guess which one I shoot the worst? That's right, the 19. Want to buy it? Oh, yeah, you want the green one. Mine's black.

The LCP is an ok pocket pistol, but let me suggest if you're going that direction that you consider the LC9s. A tiny bit bigger, and 9mm is a lot cheaper to shoot than .380. If you aren't going to shoot to stay competent, then you shouldn't carry.

The 9mm is a more capable round than the .380.

And if you're going to go 9mm, and you like Glock, consider the G43 for her.

But also make sure you look at the LC9s. I have the original LC9, the hammer-fired double-action version. The newer LC9s is striker-fired, and the trigger is excellent. My brother bought one and I've shot the two side-by-side.

My 2 cents, but the biggest takeaway is don't go .380.

Do you have the Gen4? Im intrested in the difference with that spring to the spring in the Gen3

I like the 9mm personally...

It's a P225 (P6) with a single stack mag. I can easily conceal it even with summer clothing. As for the wife, a small 9 or a 9 short (.380) should be just fine. My wife likes her .380 as she has it in her purse and thinks that is heavy as it is.

I like the Glock, It shoots great, I'm just not a fan of hammerless pistols, but otherwise a great gun.

As far as Obama goes, I do remember him saying something a few days ago to the effect of "I need to do something about gun control while I still have that privilege that this office gives me". So, yeah... that's like a gun sales flyer.

Back