Anyone ferment kombucha in plastic Big Mouth Bubbler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zentr

Reaction score
As the title says, has anyone fermented in the plastic Big Mouth Bubbler carboys? What are your thoughts?

The following is from the bigmouthbubbler.com site:
"The construction of The Bubbler® plastic carboy incorporates the highest quality plastic with purposeful design and the utmost attention to detail.

The use of PET in our plastic carboy construction affords an incredibly durable fermentation vessel that exhibits structural strength beyond other PET carboys on the market. By increasing wall thickness from what is currently offered to homebrewers, The Bubbler is less prone to warping and bowing during transportation and use. By maintaining non-toxic, plasticizer and BPA free PET as our material of choice, The Bubbler offers ease of cleaning- residue from a finished batch simply slides off with a rinse, eliminating the need for a carboy brush.

PET became our material of choice because, as homebrewers, we use sanitizers to clean our fermentation vessels, yet understand the implications of using acidic solutions in plastic containers. By using PET, brewers can maintain standard cleaning and brewing habits while eliminating any threat of contaminants or leaching- of chemicals OR flavors. In fact, the natural barrier characteristics and inherent impermeability of PET offer increased microbial resistance for an optimal fermenter whatever you choose to brew
."

BONUS QUESTION: Also, over the weekend I made a gallon batch and added 2 cups of sugar. I think that is twice the amount I should have added. Do you recommend adding a second gallon, with no sugar?

Thanks!! :)

If you're just worried about plastic vs glass, I made my last batch in a Mr. Beer plastic keg and it came out fine. The scoby is still sitting in there with a few inches of booch waiting for me to start the next batch tonight.

Last month i went to the LHBS and grabbed a 5 imp gal food safe pale added a spigot and it worked like a charm.

Back