Ferm Chamber sanitation with sour mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millsbrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm trying to figure out the logistics of doing my first sour. I do not want to introduce any cold-side bacteria yet as I don't have a second set of ferm equipment laying around that I can dedicate to sours. So with that, I plan on doing a sour wort, grow on lacto for a few days, then boil and ferment normally. My issue is keeping the wort at 100F for 4 days. I have a ferm chamber, and I'm going to do a test to see if get my heating pads in there to keep a liquid at that temp

My issue: What are the recommended procedures for cleaning a ferm chamber after doing a sour?

Bonus questions: If you have another (aka - easier) suggestion for keeping my lacto-wort at 100F, I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance.

I was contemplating kettle souring like this. I figured I'd just wait until it was the warmer months and would then just use a ferm heat wrap + STC 1000 around my boil kettle for a few days. That was before I switched to a keggle for a boil kettle, so I'm not sure if that's still as feasible. Figure this way, there's no ferm chamber exposure (though I would think worries here would be minimal / you could clean the chamber with bleach) and no lifting / hauling of wort around...just fire up the burner again when ready.

Back