Yec?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SomersetRedstreak

Reaction score
Reading through the cider forum, I'm amazed at just how many people use EC-1118 as their yeast of choice.
This aggressive yeast may have a high alcohol tolerance, but why choose something that strips out the apple flavour? Especially if fresh-pressed, high quality juice from heritage apple varieties is being used.
Any thoughts?

...This aggressive yeast may have a high alcohol tolerance, but why choose something that strips out the apple flavour?...

In my experience, it doesn't strip the apple flavor at all.
It doesn't add any additional fruity flavors that might cover up the apple.
It leaves my cider clean and dry.

Have you even used ec-1118? If so, did you let it age for at least 6 months?
The apple becomes more noticable around 3 months and steals the show around 8 months.

In my experience, it doesn't strip the apple flavor at all.
It doesn't add any additional fruity flavors that might cover up the apple.
It leaves my cider clean and dry.

Have you even used ec-1118? If so, did you let it age for at least 6 months?
The apple becomes more noticable around 3 months and steals the show around 8 months.

Wooda,
Yes, I have used EC-118, and let the cider age for 6 months. I like my cider dry too. But living in Somerset, UK, I'm used to drinking dry, funky farmhouse cider and I find that EC leaves the cider with too clean a flavour, more like a dry white wine. I guess it depends on what you're after in the finished cider.
I tend to go with wild yeasts if I'm using freshly pressed apples, in season. And ale yeasts if I'm using store bought apple juice.
Thanks for your input.

You live in the UK. So your natural yeasts are probably more traditional. Many of us live in the U.S. Or other places and don't have that luxury.

You live in the UK. So your natural yeasts are probably more traditional. Many of us live in the U.S. Or other places and don't have that luxury.

Wouldn't it be great if a lab could isolate and reproduce the traditional wild cider yeasts? Then we could buy a packet or vial and make a traditional wild yeast style cider without apples.

Randzor, thank you, it's good hear that the wild yeasts in my home 'environment' are considered luxurious! I appreciate that the majority of people on the forum live in the U.S. (and other places). You have your own great apple varieties (and natural yeasts) of your own there. But yes, the apples are very traditional here.
I'm quite happy to use and experiment with any yeast strains though.

Me too. Love S-04 and Brewers Best Cider Yeast.

Mark, I agree with you & Hawley.
Aside from wild yeasts, I like SO-4, any ale yeast that my wife has surplus (from beer kits that she brews) and sometimes D47 or 71B.

Last edited:
Back