Temp Control in SE Texas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JReasoner

Reaction score
I'm looking at different ways to control fermentation temperatures and the most cost effective way I've seen is with a water bath/swamp cooler.

My question is, has anyone had results with evaporative cooling in the gulf coast area? I'm thinking it's too humid here for this type of cooler to actually work to reduce ferm temps.

Is my best bet to just focus on the ice water bath? I'm wanting to start on a pale ale and/or a graf in the very near future but I want to figure this out first in order to get the cleanest taste I can.

Thanks in advance for any tips/advice you can give me.

I use a "Cool Brewing" insulated bag in the summer.
It is easy enough to keep my fermentor in the mid 60s by swaping out 1/2 galon jugs of ice twice a day.
This method can lower the temperature of your fermentor more than a swamp cooler, and is unafected by humidity.
For me it was $60 well spent.

I've been researching this very same thing. My conclusion is a small freezer and a temp controller just because I can think I will have better temp control, the ability to cold crash, and can still use as a freezer or fridge for hunting season and sausage making. When not in use, a chest freezer makes excellent storage space all the brewing bits and pieces.

At least that is how I sold to the Boss! Black Fridays deals are already out there....20-40% off....around here there seem to be no Craigslist freezer deals.

+1 to the fermentation chamber. It was the single biggest improvement/investment I've made...I'm in Central TX. I've tried the buckets, towels/fans & the the cheapo craigslist freezer with a johnson controller is soooo much better. You'll be able to dial in to the near exact temp you want & soon you'll be lagering as well. Two of my 3 I received for free & the third 14 cubic foot chest freezer I paid $50 for. The controller is under $100 (75ish i think).

Take the plunge, scour craigslist, pick up one big enough for multiple buckets...you'll only wanna brew more.

I do eventually want to get a fermentation chamber built, but I'm just moving into 5g brews and getting SWMBO to agree to the initial investment for a good glass carboy, larger brew pot, etc. not to mention the space in our medium sized apartment, it's just not an option right now.

I think look more into the cool brew and the ice bath methods for now and once i convince her how good the brew can be in a month or 3 I'll work on building a good freezer chamber.

IMO a temperature controlled fridge/freezer is the way to go. Start setting aside $10/week and in 3-4 months you will have enough to get everything you need. A small chest freezers footprint is only ~1.5' x 2.5' and doesn't really take up much room. I use a 5 cubic foot chest freezer and it's small enough to pick up and move by myself.

I will second the freezer or fridge recommendation. I have a south facing garage and it gets quite warm if it's hotter than 55 and sunny. I can rely on evap cooling, but I only have to forget to soak the towel one busy morning to have fermentation run away. A fridge never forgets, allows you to lager, cold crash, and functions as extra fridge space around the holidays or whenever else you might need.

Back