Canmore Brew Guy's EHERMS Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canmorebrewguy

Reaction score
Hello All,
I have been lurking around the forum for a while now and I have finally started my build. I will be doing all the work myself except a few parts like a HERMS coil and such. So here we go....I came across these Stainless convection oven stands and made a table for my brew system.

20151018_122603.jpg

20151018_121921.jpg

I thought I would start off with the BK as I was very interested in putting in a Tangential inlet. So here is the process...

20151101_123944.jpg

20151101_123954.jpg

20151101_124000.jpg

20151101_124744.jpg

20151101_151447.jpg

20151101_152625.jpg

I am thinking of a bottom drain on the edge of the kettle. Does anyone have any advice on the location? Should the drain be a little raised by a few mm so the true has less chance to enter?

I just put a bottom drain in my BK. I have been considering raising the entry a bit with a half nipple but I think it would need to be more like a damn which will not allow the hops and break enter from the whirlpooled cone. I have a U shaped piece of SS sheet which worked ok on my side drain config. -BD

Well I just got back into town and I hope to get moving again on this build. I had a good list of parts waiting for me on my return.
  • Herms coil, Thanx Stainless Brewing it is awesome
  • 2 March pumps-I got a killer deal on these and they are a bit on the big side but them will work for CIP pumps aswell
  • more 1.5" ferrules
I gues Mr Miller and I get to have some time together soon!

If those are magnetically coupled pumps then a valve on the outlet will allow you to control flow just dandy

Then just use a valve on the outlet. VFDs aren't necessarily the best solution as at some point the motor loses its cooling ability.

If you want to go fancy then get some electronic ball valves and build an arduino controller to drive them. Then you have a very repeatable setup

Thank you for the advice I guess I will have to ask Brundog or anyone else on how to do the Arduino thing. That is something I have never tinkered with before.

Any one have valve suggestions? I will also need a valve that proportions for the mash tun.
Cheers,
CBG

I can't speak to automated valves I'm afraid. I think you're right that Brundog would be a good first port of call

From the pictures it looks like they are standard threaded connections. However I can't speak for the OP

Dude... NICE work so far. Jealous of the welding tools/skillz! I am contemplating buying a welder a learning to weld for my 2.0 build. Is that wrong?

Just not sure that plate chiller in the corner is gonna be enough - better send it to me!

I'm with Brundog on this. Amazing fabricating and TIG skills. looking forward to seeing your setup in action.

Dude... NICE work so far. Jealous of the welding tools/skillz! I am contemplating buying a welder a learning to weld for my 2.0 build. Is that wrong?

Just not sure that plate chiller in the corner is gonna be enough - better send it to me!

Can never go wrong with having more tools!

The plate chiller was a great find, a family member had a old dairy and it was still on the wall, needs some love as they had galvanized fittings in the water side and the galvanic corrosion was unreal. I am not sur if I a going to try to weld it and machine it or just try some aluminum epoxy as it is only on the water side.

Back