parts list for home depot 10g cooler mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all,
I have been lurking here for a few months, while getting my feet wet with a few extract brews. Completely obsessed now. Would like to move on to all grain now.

Is there a parts list for the cooler conversion?

I have search around and can not find an idiot proof list. I apologize if its right here in front of me... Heading down to home depot tomorrow to grab cooler and wanted to buy the rest of the parts while there.

Also thank you to all of you and your knowledge and experience. I have learned a ton from you all already.

Thanks!!
Greg

You won't find the food grade stainless steel parts used in this video at HD but this does a great job of showing everything. My very first cooler/mash tun I built from parts I bought at HD, you just need to spend some time in the plumbing dept. looking for everything you'll need.

If ya want SS fittings I highly recommend bargainfittings.com

They have a flat $5 shipping rate and their products are competitively priced as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know you want the "BEST" but there are some questions to answer first. Do you plan to batch sparge or fly? In any case, you can save yourself a lot of headache by going with a purpose built bulkhead rather than a collection of pipe fittings.

TrueBulkheadFem-2T.jpg

tumblr_memzhtg47i1qaqsz7.gif

get it? cause Bobby_M's from NJ...
But seriously, his hardware is the only way to go.
Promote away!

Cooler to Mash Tun Conversion

That's actually not a bad deal when I think about it... the braided stainless hose filters work, but not as good as a manifold I've discovered. A false bottom should be a better investment over the long run than a simple braided hose I bet.

Lot's of people have spent some time investigating draining mash tuns... just check out Palmer's stuff! How to Brew

Be sure to check out appendix D:
Building a Mash/Lauter Tun

It am actually going to +1 Bobby on this, I wasted way too much time driving to 3 different hardware stores to find matching fittings. The braided hose is a miracle, it works incredibly well for me.

Cooler to Mash Tun Conversion

That's actually not a bad deal when I think about it... the braided stainless hose filters work, but not as good as a manifold I've discovered. A false bottom should be a better investment over the long run than a simple braided hose I bet.

Lot's of people have spent some time investigating draining mash tuns... just check out Palmer's stuff! How to Brew

Be sure to check out appendix D:
Building a Mash/Lauter Tun

The manifold/false bottom only make a difference with a fly sparge as they reduce channeling. If batch sparging, there is no difference in efficiency, and less dead space with a hose.

Back