Corn / Rye mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elilang

Reaction score
Hi,
This summer I grew a few rows of Kentucky whisky corn as well as a patch of rye. I want to make some rye / corn whisky and have a few questions about mashing. If I malt my Rye, can I get away with no malted barley in my mash? (are there enough enzymes in malted rye to convert the corn starch?) I haven't brewed with do i need to dry my corn all the way before I mash it?

thanks
-Eli

(ps- i have another forum account but cant remember the login...)

Are you asking about distilling whiskey? While the ingredients are similar, the mashing is very different from what I understand. My reply is in respect to brewing. I don't know anything about spirit distilling. There's a home distilling forum here:
http://www.homedistilling.com/forum/

Hopefully someone else will chime in, but my understanding is that the rye has enough DP to convert itself. I'm not sure what percentage of the malt bill you're going to dedicate to the corn, but I don't think it'll be able to handle over more than 10%. I know that anytime someone uses over 20% adjuncts in a beer, it's usually recommended to use 6-row as a base malt because of its high DP.

Your corn (like any cereal grain--oats for example) definitely needs to be cooked before it's added to the mash.

I'd play it safe and do 40% rye, 40% 2-row, 10% corn?

Irregardless, that's admirable that you grew your own malt!

Latest posts

Back