Tools and methods for cleaning inside tubing, hoses, racking canes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bennypapa

Reaction score
I have a dip tube brush that i use where i can bit it has its limits. What tools, techniques, and chemicals do you use to clean places like the bend in a racking cane or the inside of flexible tubing?

I usually soak my Tubes and Racking Cane in a large tub with my PBW (Oxygen Wash) solution for about 30 min and that will loosen up anything that's stuck in there. Then give it a good rinse with a garden hose to get the cleaning solution out. Did this this weekend after i bottled my Pumpkin Ale and my racking cane was pretty dirty looking from the pumpkin but after the soak it was perfectly clean.

I usually soak my Tubes and Racking Cane in a large tub with my PBW (Oxygen Wash) solution for about 30 min and that will loosen up anything that's stuck in there. Then give it a good rinse with a garden hose to get the cleaning solution out. Did this this weekend after i bottled my Pumpkin Ale and my racking cane was pretty dirty looking from the pumpkin but after the soak it was perfectly clean.

I use the same procedure, adding forcing wads of wet paper toweling through tubing with water pressure. Wadded paper towel is a very soft brush to finish removing loosened gunk.

I have a 6 foot length of small "ball chain" (smaller than dog tag chain). I run it through the tube in question, put a cleaning patch on the end and pull it through. Entire setup cost about 75 cents and the it takes about 30 seconds to clean a 5 ft length of 5/8" tubing...the most time consuming part is removing the tubing to clean it! Used to use monofilament fishing line in place of the chain but since it didn't have any weight, it was difficult to get through a 5 ft length of 5/8" tubing. The chain is EASY (gravity is your FRIEND)!

I know people will say that tubing is cheep so just replace vice clean and that is true. But why spend the couple of dollars to replace tubing when it is so easy to clean?

Back