Hottenroth dregs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewbeerry

Reaction score
I pitched the dregs from a Hottenroth bottle into a gallon batch and got a nicely tart Berliner Weiss that I bottled up in 3 weeks time. No other yeast was added.

I then pitched the leftovers from that batch into this 5.5 gallon batch where after 2 weeks a significant Brett pellicle has formed. It was my understanding that Hottenroth had mix of lacto and Brett but each time they plated it out, the Brett was less. The bottles of the first batch now have pellicles in the necks.

Has anyone had experience with these dregs? It is still tart but seems to have little more funk, am I selecting the Brett somehow?
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1443971306.064267.jpg

I pitched the dregs from a Hottenroth bottle into a gallon batch and got a nicely tart Berliner Weiss that I bottled up in 3 weeks time. No other yeast was added.

I then pitched the leftovers from that batch into this 5.5 gallon batch where after 2 weeks a significant Brett pellicle has formed. It was my understanding that Hottenroth had mix of lacto and Brett but each time they plated it out, the Brett was less. The bottles of the first batch now have pellicles in the necks.

Has anyone had experience with these dregs? It is still tart but seems to have little more funk, am I selecting the Brett somehow?
View attachment 307451
There is definitely Brett in Hottenroth. My guess is the first go around, the lacto overtook the Brett, but you still grew up a decent amount of Brett. Then on the next batch, since you had a decent amount of Brett to begin with (versus very little in the first batch), it was able to express itself quicker than before. What did the first batch finish at?

Exact same recipes in terms of malt 48.7% 2 row, 48.7% wheat and 2.5% acid malt. The first had 4 IBUs and 2nd had 3 IBUs of old EKG.

1st batch started at 1.035 and finished at 1.006. Which seems common with the use of Brett primaries for me.

I guess I'll keep monitoring it and just chalk it up to using these dregs as a 1 time deal. Will be interesting to compare the 1st to 2nd batch. I suppose it is best to continually propagate a pure lacto culture

Latest posts

Back