Schnapps or Brandy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShepFL

ShepFL
Reaction score
So I just bought a cider mill to grind and press my pears. I have made pear wine in the past that many liked.

I am thinking of a pear brandy using the pomace left over. Anyone done this and got any recipes or direction on how to proceed? I am looking at Switzerland and Swedish sites for leads as my grandmother used to speak of a schnapps they left outside after making cider.

Thanks from the piney woods of North Florida longing for big timber of North Idaho!!

I think they still don't allow talk of the "D" word on these forums.

Thanks y'all. Was not trying to create a furor. I really like this site and don't want to get booted off. Moving this thought to another area of the interweb :)

You mention "... left outside..." that would be what we call applejack if made with apples. With a cold enough freezer you can get the basic equivalent of schnapps. By leaving the "cider" outside, (in very cold weather) it will freeze and thaw repeatedly until the purest of the alcohol is in the middle of the container surrounded by ice, and the ice is poked through to drain out just the good stuff.

Back