Ice cider WITH all of the hard work!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevalcider

Reaction score
I keep driving past a crab apple tree that yielded a sampling of apples for a 2 gallon test batch this fall. I only picked three grocery bags full in fall, partly due to a new baby in the house and a lack of fermenter space. I haven't sampled any of the test but by all accounts the smell indicates a good product. When I picked they were overripe and made very poor eating. The juice pressed alright and I seem to recall it having an OG of about 1.52 or so.

There are still a good number of apples on the tree. We started having killing frosts a few weeks after I picked and now we have consistently been well below freezing. This morning's temperature was -39 degrees Celsius with the windchill. The combination of cold and wind really sucks moisture out of anything outside. I am thinking that the apples left on the tree are candidates for an ice cider. I am assuming that the sugars would be fairly concentrated by now. Has anyone here ever picked winter apples and pressed them for cider?

Back