Running a chugger through a plate chiller.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blkandrust

Reaction score
Hello all.I just received all the necessary fittings required to hook up my new chugger pump and Duda plate chiller. I ran a test cycle and the wort is coming out of the chiller to fast to cool to pitching temps.This happened when gravity feeding through the chiller,all I did then was close the valve on my kettle a bit and it worked fine. Can I do this on the discharge side of my pump? I assume restricting the flow on the input side would be a bad idea,and hard on the pump.I'm excited to incorporate a pump into my system but would like to avoid any pitfalls as I plan on brewing with this pump,for the first time,tomorrow.

You got it. Put a valve on the output of the pump to slow the flow. I actually run through the chiller and cycle the wort back into the kettle for about 5 min to really drop the temp before pumping into my fermenter. I imagine this would help with aeration too.

You got it. Put a valve on the output of the pump to slow the flow. I actually run through the chiller and cycle the wort back into the kettle for about 5 min to really drop the temp before pumping into my fermenter. I imagine this would help with aeration too.

I have already put a ball valve on my pump as well as a bleeder valve. Thanks for the reply. I really like the idea of cycling back into the kettle.

Latest posts

Back