Critique my Rye IPA please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fokram

Reaction score
Hey guys, what do you all think of this recipe:

Batch Size (fermenter): 20.820 L (5.5 Gallons)
OG: 1.063
FG: 1.016
Colour: 6.7
IBU: 41.4
Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Yeast: Safale US-05

Grains:
DME - 1.7kg
LME - 1.4kg
2-Row Local Pale Malt - 1kg
Rye Malt - 1kg

Hops:
27g Chinook - 60 min - 31.8 IBU
11g Chinook - 15 min - 6.4 IBU
11g Chinook - 5 min - 2.6 IBU
11g Chinook - 1 min - 0.6 IBU
40g Chinook - Dry Hop 5 days

My intention is to make a refreshing, crisp and aromatic IPA with IBUs on the lower limit, since my dad and my friends have a negative perception of IPAs (for now). I chose Chinook hops because they're supposed to have a piney, herbal and spicy aroma, which sounds pretty good. I chose rye, because why not ;)?

I think if you want this to be an IPA you need much, much more hops. I understand things in dumb american units so thats what....like ~3.5oz of hops? I would recommend going with that much just at flameout for a whirlpool addition to get you a pungent hoppy character without the bitterness. For reference, the best IPAs ive made have had more than 10oz of hops. I think designing the recipe like this would be the perfect thing to win over your dad and friends. I cant tell you how many people ive had try my IPAs that "dont like IPAs" and asked for seconds. Turns out most people jsut dont like typical hop bills that focus on IBUs

So I would say keep the 60min addition, but bump up the late additions and emphasize whirlpool additions

I think if you want this to be an IPA you need much, much more hops. I understand things in dumb american units so thats what....like ~3.5oz of hops? I would recommend going with that much just at flameout for a whirlpool addition to get you a pungent hoppy character without the bitterness. For reference, the best IPAs ive made have had more than 10oz of hops. I think designing the recipe like this would be the perfect thing to win over your dad and friends. I cant tell you how many people ive had try my IPAs that "dont like IPAs" and asked for seconds. Turns out most people jsut dont like typical hop bills that focus on IBUs

So I would say keep the 60min addition, but bump up the late additions and emphasize whirlpool additions

Sounds good to me, thanks man.

To add to what m00ps stated. I would also add a small portion of sugar to help drive your attenuation. Nothing much, at max maybe 250 grams (I think thats approximately 8oz if you are speaking American), honey would work as well and is easier to add to the fermenter during fermentation.

Since you are using LME and DME making sure it attenuates well is important to making that hop character pop.

To add to what m00ps stated. I would also add a small portion of sugar to help drive your attenuation. Nothing much, at max maybe 250 grams (I think thats approximately 8oz if you are speaking American), honey would work as well and is easier to add to the fermenter during fermentation.

Since you are using LME and DME making sure it attenuates well is important to making that hop character pop.

I think the FG estimate might be a bit high, it seems like Brewtarget has a tendency to do that, although I guess a little sugar wouldn't hurt either way :)

Back