What is floating in my Cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TuningIsLife

Reaction score
So I did a Cider House Apple kit to try for my first attempt at a cider.

I let it sit in the primary for about 6 weeks, bought a new plastic carboy, cleaned and sanitized it, and transferred to a secondary.

I added the "flavor" pouch that came with the kit and also some Super Kleer that was suggested by my LHBS, and have been letting it sit.

I came down to check on it the other day and found this mess floating in it. Any idea of what it could be? Is the cider trash now?

9aScdgs.jpg

Thanks

After close speculation and inspection, I have come to the conclusion that you have a tenderized brain floating in your cider.

Although not uncommon to have your brain tenderized after copious amounts of cider ingestion, I have yet to see it pre-ingestion.

The treatment should be as easy as introducing some granulated zombies into secondary. Don't forget to sanitize.

After close speculation and inspection, I have come to the conclusion that you have a tenderized brain floating in your cider.

Although not uncommon to have your brain tenderized after copious amounts of cider ingestion, I have yet to see it pre-ingestion.

The treatment should be as easy as introducing some granulated zombies into secondary. Don't forget to sanitize.

Ever had a brain hemorrhage shot? That is exactly how it looks to me.

FQ0F9I0HN82O9VU.LARGE.jpg

But at least I know what causes those......

No idea what that is, but if there's any alcohol in there, chances are it's not ruined.

I tested the FG when I re-racked it, and it was sitting at 1.004, so the kit says it should have been 5.2%.... So who knows....

I asked this same question over on Reddit and got a response about lees catching air bubbles?

So I performed a second closer inspection of it tonight. The cider itself is very very clear, but, there is definitely stuff floating in it. There is a layer of trub at the bottom, and some of it was catching mini air bubbles and floating to the top, so I think that this is a plausible theory. How would you sink that stuff, or try to remove the air bubbles so that the trub does not float? Or should I just rack around it?

Thanks again!

mmmmm.... brains......

:eek:

Does cold crashing help with this stuff? It is sitting at about 69F right now.

Back