Star San Mixture is Cloudy - Thoughts on My Water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jiffster

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of my first batch. It's in the secondary fermenter with 1 week to go before bottling.

Today I added my dry hops and before doing so, I read up some more on sanitization and Star San dilution for spray bottles. It was then I realized my 5 gallon batch of Star San was not optimal because it was cloudy. I made another small batch for my spray bottle using distilled water and it was fine.

So what does this say about my tap water in regards to brewing and future sanitization?

Cloudiness of the Starsan solution is related to minerals in your water. As long as the pH remains below 3.2 your Starsan solution is still an effective sanitizer. Minerals in the water do not affect effectiveness of the acid solution.

Interesting info fella's, thanks. I need to test my ph. Haven't done tha before but been reading up on a bit. Any tips on what to get: strips, test "pen", etc?

On another note, is it really necessary to prep 2.5 gal or more of Star San to sanitize for a 5 gallon batch? Is Star San effective as long as it soaks any surface? (I.e. I don't need to fully submerg most items).

Appreciate the help.

When I mix up a fresh batch of SS with our soft water no cloudiness. When I mixed up with unsoftened water cloudiness. It's about the mineral content. FWIW, the cloudiness will settle out over time. Yes, it will cloud up when the pH is too high, but what you're experiencing is not because of that.

What's it say about your tap water? Dunno but you might want to send a sample to Ward Labs.

Interesting info fella's, thanks. I need to test my ph. Haven't done tha before but been reading up on a bit. Any tips on what to get: strips, test "pen", etc?

On another note, is it really necessary to prep 2.5 gal or more of Star San to sanitize for a 5 gallon batch? Is Star San effective as long as it soaks any surface? (I.e. I don't need to fully submerg most items).

Appreciate the help.

I never test my Star San pH - don't think most brewers do from what I've read on the forums. If you mix it according to instructions, it should be good.

Different opinions on how much to mix for a brew day. I use a gallon on bottling day and re-use it on brew day. It depends on what works for your process. And you don't need to submerge the items - just make sure they stay wet with Star San for one minute (30 seconds as per Charlie Talley in an interview).

When I started I used to make up a 2.5 gal batch every brew. I would dump it after brew day. I started saving some in a spray bottle and then finally got it down to making a gallon on brew days. If the solution stays clean I fill my spray bottle and put the rest in a keg so I can serve some if needed. I use 6 ml for a gallon (or just under the 1/4oz mark).

Appreciate the help.

If you only brew occasionally, say once a month, or less, it makes sense to prepare only one gallon of Starsan. Use it to fill (or top off) your spray bottle, sanitize all your equipment that touches your wort after the boil, such as racking cane, tubing, carboy or fermentation bucket, lids, spoons, pint-size glass pitcher for re-hydrating yeast, aeration whisk, stoppers, air lock, etc. I prefer to drench a small washcloth in Starsan and mop everything with it that can't be submerged.

After use, you can keep that gallon or so in a well rinsed-out milk jug, and use to sanitize your wine thief or tubing when taking gravity samples and then again, on bottling day

Or just discard and make a fresh gallon on or near bottling day.

You need 6 ml of the concentrate for each gallon. Use a syringe to measure such small amounts.

I've kept Starsan solutions in buckets for 3 months without any issue. I do siphon the clear Starsan off into another bucket when there is a visible (grayish) precipitation on the bottom, and just for aesthetics, really. I toss the Starsan when it gets too gray and scummy to my standards. Never had an unintentional infection in my beer.

I can tell if the starsan is okay, because it has a very mesquite smell and makes me cough pretty good when I spray it around if it's good. If I don't notice it, then it must be weak.

I make 1 gallon for my 5 gallon batches, sanitizing on brewing day. Then another 1 gallon on bottling day. I reserve some in a spray bottle for any sanitizing needs then dump and refill with a new batch.

Cloudiness has never mattered with my results.

I mix up 3 gallons about every 6 months and leave it in a covered pail...use it over and over. I test the pH monthly and it is always in the 2.4-2.6 range.

Back