What do you use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do you use to keep an eye on the temp of your mash tun?

Here is what I came up with. I just hope it's waterproof, haha View attachment 296041

What is it? how does it work?

Here's my thermometer:
thermapen.jpg

Pink is my color, but I usually take the readings in F, not C!

Why does it need to be waterproof? I use something similar to Yoopers, but mine is BLUE!

An STC-1000 in a waterproof case. Should work at a thermometer, I would check it against a known correct thermometer to make sure the readings are accurate.

I get pretty close with strike water calculators. I check with a digital thermometer then put the lid on my igloo cooler. I don't monitor temps during the mash.

I usually just check the temp 2 times during the mash with my trusty dial thermometer. Once after dough-in and another time at the 40 minute mark or so. My mash tun is an igloo max cool cooler and it doesn't drop a degree at all over the course of an hour. I've even been lazy and cleaned it out the next morning and the malt is still steaming. I need to get one of those thermal pen thingies but I'm getting by just fine with my dial thermometer. As long as it's calibrated! :)

What I listed above is an Inkbird dual stage relay. I'm only using it for the thermometer that comes with it. I can place it down in the liquid/mash and see the temp from outside without ever having to take the lid off. This thing is accurate up to .1 degree. I was having issues with using a floating thermometer dropping 1-3 degrees. when I took off the lid and pulled it out to view it, the air would hit it and by the time my eyes got adjusted enough to see what the temp is it had already dropped 1-3 degrees. This new box gives me the ability to just leave the lid on the WHOLE TIME and the digital display in the box shows me the temp. I have installed these in 3 different craft breweries over the past couple years.

And no it doesn't control a burner. I use a 10 gallon vertical cooler.

Sure that probe is waterproof?

I use a thermapen, like Yooper's but orange.

Really not seeing the reason behind not just using a thermometers. There are lots of good options.

A cheap probe thermometer. can also monitor your oven if you do baking and roasting etc
End of Mash.jpgpolder-thermometer.jpg

A dial thermometerInsulated Mash.jpg

What I now use. Thermapen.jpg

Why do you need an inkbird if it's only monitoring temps you are after. You're not controlling anything with it so I'm not sure what the reason is. I'm missing something I'm sure.

Why does it need to be in a waterproof case? I would guess the probes on these if they are like the STC1000 are not listed as waterproof. They may be adequately water resistant to immerse for the duration of a mash.

Why do you need an inkbird if it's only monitoring temps you are after. You're not controlling anything with it so I'm not sure what the reason is. I'm missing something I'm sure.

Why does it need to be in a waterproof case? I would guess the probes on these if they are like the STC1000 are not listed as waterproof. They may be adequately water resistant to immerse for the duration of a mash.

Because I want to. Because I can. Because it's cheaper than other digital thermometers. Because I want a back up for my fermentation chamber. It is water resistant enough to do what I want to do. It gives me more accurate readings that a dial type.

I am not cool enough to use a thermapen. I have a lavatools thermometer that looks remarkably similar with temp resolution that isn't quite as good. Mine is gloss white.

It looks like your solution is pretty good especially if you are planning to upgrade to a heated mash tun in the future.

Because I want to. Because I can......Because I want a back up for my fermentation chamber. It is water resistant enough to do what I want to do. It gives me more accurate readings that a dial type.

Fair enough. Keep your shirt on there chief.

I'm not trying to poke holes in your wonderful creation. It just seems like reinventing the wheel. I figured it must be doing something extra otherwise you would not have bothered. That's why I asked. Curiosity can get the better of people sometimes.

I've got two similar devices BTW and they are great for doing what they were designed for. I'm a big fan of my simple STC. ~$30 all in for each including the box, etc.

Because it's cheaper than other digital thermometers. .

Not if you add in the cost of the box, wiring, etc. Not going to be much in it bewteen your DIY and a great digital thermometer at ~$30

Anyway. Enjoy your thermometer. I hope it works as planned.

I can place it down in the liquid/mash and see the temp from outside without ever having to take the lid off....This new box gives me the ability to just leave the lid on the WHOLE TIME and the digital display in the box shows me the temp.

I have an NPT 3" dial thermometer mounted to the lid of my MLT. It has the swivel joint. 12.99 on Amazon.

Back