Is my Saison fully attenuated?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlatenight

Reaction score
I brewed a Saison a week ago on Sunday the 19th. It was pretty beefy at OG1.071 I did 10 gallons and started in the lower 70's for 3 days, then raised it 1 degree Celsius each day. It's in the higher 80's now. It tastes great with a lot of great Belgiany esters. :mug:

One fermeter's at 1.012 and the other is 1.008. How do I know when the yeast has reached it's final gravity? At 1.0071 OG, I'm thinking it's just about there right? Could it get any lower than 1.008? I know it should be as dry as possible, is 1.008 a little too high for a Saison?

I was thinking about racking 5gal onto some cucumber chunks. At about 8%, is the abv of this beer too high for that?

what yeast strain did you use? also what temp did you mash at?

If its been stable for 2-3 days then its probably done. Thats a pretty high OG so maybe your yeast and mash temp resulted in it not getting too low. Although 1.008 isnt uncommon. You could warm it up a bit. I ferment my saisons at 95F to get them very dry

Side note, I made a cucumber mint saison that turned out much better than expected using 3 whole cukes and 2 sprigs of fresh mint. Just dunked them in starsan and right into the fermentor. I say go for it

You could warm it up a bit. I ferment my saisons at 95F to get them very dry
It's at 86F now. I'll keep inching it up to mid 90's and in a week or so I'll see what happens. Cucumber mint sounds good! Friend of mine suggested some hot peppers to balance out the cucumbers.

ive pushed that yeast into the mid 90s before. might not get any lower though.The next time i make a saison im prob going to use both the dupont and french strain to finish the beer.

The last time I used that yeast, my final gravity was 1.0002 and I fermented it in the mid 70's. I have read that this yeast can stall out and then resume fermenting days and weeks later. I would do a search on this. However, in the meantime, I would not assume its done, I would boost the temperature a little and just be patient.

Back