Cleaning up in primary, or bottle condition?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcodville

Reaction score
Hey all, just got a quick question about fermentation and bottle conditioning. I have a blonde ale thats been in the primary for 2 weeks now, FG is now at 1.018 and has been at that for a while now. I taste tested the last sample and it smelled and tasted delicious. Now i've read from many different posts that people like to leave the beer in the primary for a minimum of 3 weeks so the yeast can clean up by products. My question is if I bottle now will the cleanup process continue in the bottle? Or is it in my best benefit to wait that extra week or so before bottling?

@ 1.018, it's probably not done fermenting yet. Maybe stalled? Big temperature swings can cause it to stall out, or getting too cool.

Yeah, that's pretty high. Can you warm it up in primary? Get your self a $30 aerator set up for next time.

It's been sitting pretty steady at 70F in a swamp cooler, been switching out jugs of ice twice a day. I'll try taking it out of the cooler and just have it sitting in my basement, should warm up a few degrees, I'll try rousing the yeast too while im at it. I'll let it sit for another week hopefully it comes down.

Thanks guys.

FG issues aside: if you have a good pitching rate and good temp control, you don't have to wait for the yeast to clean up fermentation off flavors because there shouldn't be any.

However, there may be other reasons to bulk age or bottle age a beer.

Yes it was US-05, rehydrated and pitched at the same temperature as the wort as per john palmers book. The OG was 1.066, which I think is incorrect from what people have told me I may have just hit a dense part of LME, apparently it doesn't always mix very evenly. My expected OG according to beersmith should have been 1.05, so Im going to go with that since it was an all extract with steeped grains recipe, kinda hard to miss the mark.

Back