Pumpkin WG to extract conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuadConPana

Reaction score
I got the idea somewhere that the way to convert a WG recipe to extract was to convert the main grain to LME or DME and steep the specialty grains. My wife is a fan of pumpkin ales and I want to brew her one. If the recipe calls for the pumpkin to go into the mash, how do I handle that in the conversion?

Also, many recipes say to roast the pumpkin. Any links to the proper technique for pumpkin roasting?

Finally, one last thing. The recipes I've read sound pretty daunting. With fewer than 10 batches under my belt I'm wondering if I shouldn't just buy her a case of Pumking and try a different style.

Pumpkin can go in the boil. It's kinda messy, but tastes fine.

Roasting is easy. Cut open. Remove seeds. Toss in the over. If you want a caramel note, you can stir some brown sugar into water and brush it on for the last 20 minutes.

The problem is getting good, fresh pumpkin in the middle of summer. The canned stuff works fine if you can't find fresh. Just make sure it is unseasoned. Spread it on a baking sheet and roast like you would a fresh batch.

The real issue with pumpkin beer is the spicing. It's hard to get right. Personally, I like to add about half of what a normal recipe might call for. Then I make a "spice tea" - a cup of water with spice - heat and let sit. Before you bottle/keg, add a little bit at a time to the batch and taste as you go. When you get to a level you like, add a splash more because spices fade a bit.

I got the idea somewhere that the way to convert a WG recipe to extract was to convert the main grain to LME or DME and steep the specialty grains. My wife is a fan of pumpkin ales and I want to brew her one. If the recipe calls for the pumpkin to go into the mash, how do I handle that in the conversion?

Also, many recipes say to roast the pumpkin. Any links to the proper technique for pumpkin roasting?

Finally, one last thing. The recipes I've read sound pretty daunting. With fewer than 10 batches under my belt I'm wondering if I shouldn't just buy her a case of Pumking and try a different style.

Do you have a recipe in mind?
Adding pumpkin to any beer regardless of all grain, partial mash, or extract is very easy and the same for all 3.

I may be wrong, and I have never made a pumpkin beer, so this may be useless advice. Hopefully someone with experience can comment.

I'd question whether the pumpkin adds anything noticeable to the beer. I suspect most of the flavor comes from the spices.

Back