Issues with both Brewsmith and Brewer's Friend Apps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damoxemus

Reaction score
So ya, I have both apps (Ipod) and I just got the update for Brewer's Friend and it will no longer work- as in it won't even open. If I delete it I will lose all my data as well and I have some recipes on there that I have not yet backed up.

Anyone else have this problem, and if so, what's the fix?

For Beersmith 2, the problem isn't as bad. The issue is when trying to start a new recipe. I got to "My Recipes" and hit the "+Add" button. Instead of getting a new blank recipe template it opens up one my old recipes and if I want to actually make something new, I have to delete every ingredient and detail to get to the "blank slate" to create a new recipe. Not a huge deal, but time consuming and quite annoying.

Is the normal or is my app screwed up somehow?

Instead of getting a new blank recipe template it opens up one my old recipes and if I want to actually make something new, I have to delete every ingredient and detail to get to the "blank slate" to create a new recipe. Not a huge deal, but time consuming and quite annoying.

Is the normal or is my app screwed up somehow?

When you scroll to the bottom of any recipe, there is a button labeled, "Save as Default Recipe." Apparently you hit this at some point.

For both mobile and desktop versions, I created a recipe with just some basic pale malt, my favorite bittering hop, plus my equipment, mash and fermentation profiles. Then I added whirlfloc, yeast, nutrient and all of the extras that go into every recipe I make. I saved that as the default.

Now, when I write a new recipe, I just change the name, add all of the specialty malts, flavor/aroma hops and anything else unique to that recipe. Saves a lot of time and tedium.

When you scroll to the bottom of any recipe, there is a button labeled, "Save as Default Recipe." Apparently you hit this at some point.

For both mobile and desktop versions, I created a recipe with just some basic pale malt, my favorite bittering hop, plus my equipment, mash and fermentation profiles. Then I added whirlfloc, yeast, nutrient and all of the extras that go into every recipe I make. I saved that as the default.

Now, when I write a new recipe, I just change the name, add all of the specialty malts, flavor/aroma hops and anything else unique to that recipe. Saves a lot of time and tedium.

Sweet, good idea. Thanks for sharing that.

I haven't used the Brewers friend app but if it's like brewpal you can hook your iPod to your computer and in iTunes under the iPod section click on apps scroll to the bottom of the page and you'll see files stored in each app. You should be able to save those files to your computer

I haven't used the Brewers friend app but if it's like brewpal you can hook your iPod to your computer and in iTunes under the iPod section click on apps scroll to the bottom of the page and you'll see files stored in each app. You should be able to save those files to your computer

Excellent idea. I kinda had thought of looking to see if there was a way to back it up that then made the mistake of dl'ing the new iTunes.

Thanks!

Back