German Alt oops!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhelegda

Reaction score
So I just realized I brew an alt on Saturday, I pour the yeast and wait until fermentation starts then move it to my fridge to ferment at 62 or so...I just noticed I didn't move it to the fridge. I assume that it's too late to move it now. What kind of taste can I expect? I used WLP036 yeast! Kicking myself in the ass!!!

It'll be beer... just not the one you were expecting.

How warm was it? And what is the yeast's ideal range?

It's likely fermented out by now (especially if warm) so you might want to leave it on the yeast for another 2-3 weeks before bottling. Maybe the yeast can clean up a little. Perhaps even let it bottle condition for a few months. Then you'll probably want to serve it coooold.

So I just realized I brew an alt on Saturday, I pour the yeast and wait until fermentation starts then move it to my fridge to ferment at 62 or so...I just noticed I didn't move it to the fridge. I assume that it's too late to move it now. What kind of taste can I expect? I used WLP036 yeast! Kicking myself in the ass!!!

Not good, since altbiers need to be crisp and (very) slightly malty without any fermentation esters common with ale and warm fermentation. You still probably made a beer you'll really enjoy, but it might not be an altbier (have you had them?).

BTW, why wait? Yeast will get going just fine at 62. Next time get your beer cold and pitch the yeast. No problem, especially if you do a large pitch.

It says add at 70-75 degrees and keep it at this temp until fermentation is complete. As does every vial of White Labs.

It says add at 70-75 degrees and keep it at this temp until fermentation is complete. As does every vial of White Labs.

I can't explain that, but I'm sure that's on the warm side. I've never fermented any beer (except a saison and some sours) that warm.

Check White Lab's web site for fermentation temps for that yeast.

Yes, it does. But that is to compensate for underpitching since a vial is yeast is not usually enough yeast for a 5 gallon batch. Even their lager yeast vials say that!

They have a lot more information about proper temperatures and yeast pitching rates on their website. While it works to start it at 70, and "catch" it before it gets going, and then lower the temperature, that isn't always easy to do as you found. It's much easier to pitch the yeast at the proper temperature (or even just under the proper temperature) and let it start and stay at the proper temperature. It's pretty hard to cool 5 gallons of actively fermenting beer in a relatively quick period of time, at least it would be for me.

Yeah big bone head mistake, this is what happens sometimes when you day of beer making turns into a BBQ Party! When this gets done fermenting I'm going to let it sit on the cake for about a month to see if it'll clear up.

Would you recommend doing that at room temp or in the fridge?

Yeah big bone head mistake, this is what happens sometimes when you day of beer making turns into a BBQ Party! When this gets done fermenting I'm going to let it sit on the cake for about a month to see if it'll clear up.

Would you recommend doing that at room temp or in the fridge?

Fridge will clear much faster than room temp. Are we talking about 33F fridge or a 62F fermentation fridge?

Let it ferment for 2 weeks, then move to fridge. Once fermentation is complete, the yeast isn't doing anything for you. A week in the fridge and it should be nice and clear.

Save the yeast in mason jars and pitch in your next altbier.

Fridge will clear much faster than room temp. Are we talking about 33F fridge or a 62F fermentation fridge?

Let it ferment for 2 weeks, then move to fridge. Once fermentation is complete, the yeast isn't doing anything for you. A week in the fridge and it should be nice and clear.

Save the yeast in mason jars and pitch in your next altbier.

The fridge can be set to any temp I want, I get it to lager beer and it has a Johnson Controls Analog temp controller. I can put it in now and let it finish fermenting!!!

I just made my first Alt beer too, and bottled it today. I fermented it at about 66 degrees. Because White Labs says the yeast works best at 65 to 69. I hope I didn't make a mistake by following the manufacturer's instructions.

Back